June 27, 2012

Incarnate(Newsoul #1) by Jodi Meadows


Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?


My Thoughts/Review:

I liked this book, but there were a few things about it that drove me insane. For one, I disliked the way that Ana's mother Li behaved. She was an awful excuse for a human being, and every little thing she did made me want to hurt her. She made Ana believe that she was a 'Nosoul' and that she would never have feelings, love, or possessions.

She made her believe that she was an empty shell, instead of a 'Newsoul', which is what she actually was. Of course she had a soul. Who doesn't?

I did actually like Ana, because she was willing to go out on her own, and make her own way, to get out of a bad situation. No matter what went wrong, she went out of her way to keep on trudging along the right way. She didn't want to quit, so she kept right on going until it was safe to end.

I also really liked Sam, because of his never ending quest to keep Ana safe, and to never let her be without hope. He was good like that, and with a little bit of romance thrown into this story, it was very cute. The entire premise was a very good idea, but in the end, the book fell a little flat for me. I liked it, but only once did I see a bit of amazing writing in the entire book, and that just killed it for me.

It was imaginative and inventive, but the story wasn't thought out very far beforehand, and it made the book just a teeny bit abrupt and confusing.


♠♠♠
Favorite Quote:
Yep, I read an ARC, and I can't quote it. Sorry.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new follower who is absolutely looking forward to your new posts! I think I will have to check out this book because I've been looking at it for a while now. I really want to know what happens to Ana as the story unfolds. Thanks for the review!
    I also blog about YA fiction on http://needapageturner.blogspot.com check it out if you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is a good book, it just wasn't my exact cup of tea. :)
      Welcome! I'll check out your site. :)

      Delete