June 13, 2012

Dreamless(Starcrossed #2) by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.


My Thoughts/Review:

What am I feeling right now? Amazement. This book was so much better than the first. Maybe I like drama. I don't know, but for some reason, I liked this book a ton more than the first. I liked the first, but the second, wow.

May I just say, I love the character of Orion. I was going to put this book off for a little bit longer, but I read the back flap, and I'm a sucker for love triangles, so I had to read it then. Shocking, right? That I'm a sucker for love triangles. Can't blame me though, all the best YA books have a slight variation on the original triangle.

Orion, though, back to him. He was strong. He was brave. He was sweet. And, kind of cocky at the same time. I....(dare I say it?) swoon for him. He is an amazing love interest. Much better than Lucas. Yet when I read from Lucas's point of view, I think I might like him too. So, I'm just as torn as Helen is. How did that happen? I feel so....dirty. You can't love two guys at once, that's just wrong. You can love one like a brother. That seems less....gross.

Helen kind of annoys me. She may be impervious to all physical threats, but she still needs to know how to protect herself! Sorry, I'm kind of a die hard 'Girls need to know how to protect themselves' kind of gal. We have guns. I can shoot. I'm a hick.

So, when Helen starts to train, she still can't protect herself! What's up with that? She has no power in the underworld, so she should learn to physically protect herself. She is the descender. That's life. I feel bad about the protection thing, because I actually really like Helen as a character.

I never saw the ending coming. I wondered, but didn't succeed in figuring it out before the end, so I was happy. It was plotted. I love plot. The characters make the book, but plot cuts a close second. It was perfect though. The perfect amount of fulfillment, suspense, and the need for more Starcrossed.

♠♠♠♠
Favorite Quote:
He spoke with such conviction, such passion, that Helen could only stare at him with her mouth hanging open. Her mind went absolutely blank for a few heartbeats, and then a small voice in her head started yelling at her, enumerating all the places where she came up short as a person.

4 comments:

  1. After this review i am defenitely reading this soon. I too hate love triangles but this one sounds really interesting.

    Awesome review! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks! Glad to know that I can make someone want to read a book! ^.^
      Love triangles...I kind of like them, but I also really don't, because I'm usually very opinionated on who he/she should pick.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVED Starcrossed because I love romance and witty dialogue. Dreamless was packed with too much information and not enough relationship for my tastes and I found myself trudging through it, especially Daphne and Zach's POV, many times forcing myself to read another chapter. Yes, there was a lot of thought and research done to make this book as complicated as it appears, but in the end, it is Helen and Lucas that made Starcrossed so engrossing and I found that their separation in this book left the story empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally! Someone who wants to talk books! Starcrossed wasn't a 'loved' for me, because it had a bit of the insta-love or they feel in love a little too quickly for my tastes. I loved all the mythology in 'Dreamless' and hope the last one has more. The seperation of Lucas and Helen, I felt that it kind of helps their relationship, because it allowed us to really get that Lucas does actually love Helen. Cause, for a while, Lucas was kind of an empty character for me. Thanks for your thoughts! :)

      Delete