May 7, 2012

The Survival Kit by Donna Freitas


The Survival Kit
When Rose’s mom dies, she leaves behind a brown paper bag labeled Rose’s Survival Kit. Inside the bag, Rose finds an iPod, with a to-be-determined playlist; a picture of peonies, for growing; a crystal heart, for loving; a paper star, for making a wish; and a  paper kite, for letting go.


As Rose ponders the meaning of each item, she finds herself returning again and again to an unexpected source of comfort. Will is her family’s gardener, the school hockey star, and the only person who really understands what she’s going through. Can loss lead to love?


My Thoughts/Review:

Rose was an interesting character, but not one that hasn't been done before. Her relationships with everyone else being dropped, and her constant need to take care everyone--text book example of an angst filled teenage girl. I feel like I'm using the word angst a lot lately. I guess I've been reading a lot of angsty characters lately. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's probably starting to drive me insane. Moving on. The thought of a survival kit kind of intrigues me, because who would think to do something like that?

I really loved Rose's relationship with Will, even though he screwed up a bit. (Who Doesn't?) He was a likeable character, one that really makes this book shine. Because he seemed so real, and so did Rose. They complement each other. Some things just didn't add up, though. Rose's aversion to music, for one. At one point in the book, Rose is at a hockey game, and music comes on, but she doesn't say anything. She just listens to it. And I quote, "Music makes me cry." She doesn't cry, though.

But I really liked the book, in spite of that, because I'm a sucker for good characters. And love stories. But you knew that.


                                                           ♠♠♠
                                                    Favorite Quote:
"It's written all over that boy's face."
"What is Grandma?"
"That he's lost his father. Such a shame. You can always tell."
I looked at her. "You can?"
"Yes." Grandma stared like she could see right through to my deepest insides. Her eyes shone like glass, and for an instant I thought I saw loss in them. "It's all over your's too," she said, and walked away, leaving me alone by the window to ponder whether her observation was true.


2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've never heard of this book, but it looks like a good read. I'm glad you liked it despite the main character being kind of angsty. I feel like that happens a lot in books with teenagers as main characters. Also like the quote you chose! It so makes me want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a pretty good read. I aggree! It seems like it happens all the time. :) Thanks! :)

      Delete