May 13, 2012

First Day on Earth by Cecil Castellucci


First Day on Earth 
A startling, wonderful novel about the true meaning of being an alien in an equally alien world.


"We are specks. Pieces of dust in this universe. Big nothings. 


"I know what I am."


Mal lives on the fringes of high school. Angry. Misunderstood. Yet loving the world -- or, at least, an idea of the world. 


Then he meets Hooper. Who says he's from another planet. And may be going home very soon.



My Thoughts/Review:

I liked this book, but it wasn't really something I'll be raving about, so beware. It was very metaphorical, I would say, because of all the weird stuff that happened, and the weird stuff that could've happened, if you know what I mean. It was set up to be weird. It succeeded. Unfortunately.

It was definitely a very fast read, topping out at 150 pages. (?!) I really, really don't like extremely short books. It seems like there isn't enough development time, enough time to really get to know the characters. It's kind of like your only reading a rough draft of the characters, instead of a finished copy. It just kills me. I liked the character of Mal, but he was really odd, and actually kind of self centered. He's always complaining, and saying how other people were ruining his life, but it really starts to chap on you after while, reading that.

I really don't understand the point of this book, or some of the elements that were in it, but if I had to guess, I would say that it's the author that ruins these books for me. She's very odd, in the way that she writes her books. I just don't really identify with the characters, or any of the situations that she thrusts on them. I probably wont be reading anymore by Cecil Castellucci.

                                                                        ♠♠ 
                                                              Favorite Quote: 
Those women, the way they talk about her, that's what's really crazy.
You would never know that they used to be her friends. Her best friends.
There isn't one friendly thing about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment