May 22, 2012

The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen

Pretty in Pink meets Anna and the French Kiss in this charming romantic comedy.


Ella is nearly invisible at the Willing School, and that's just fine by her. She's got her friends - the fabulous Frankie and their sweet cohort Sadie. She's got her art - and her idol, the unappreciated 19th-century painter Edward Willing. Still, it's hard being a nobody and having a crush on the biggest somebody in the school: Alex Bainbridge. Especially when he is your French tutor, and lessons have started becoming, well, certainly more interesting than French ever has been before. But can the invisible girl actually end up with a happily ever after with the golden boy, when no one even knows they're dating? And is Ella going to dare to be that girl?


My Thoughts/Review:

I started this book out with very high expectations of what would happen. Were they met? No, not really. The story was cute enough, I suppose, but I was prejudiced from the very start. I guess the love interest was okay, but he kind of annoyed me. He never apologized for a number of things that he did, and he seemed to expect everything to fall at his feet. For all we know, he never even declared that they were together. I don't know, maybe I missed something, but he didn't seem very swoon-worthy, or even worthy of Ella. He was just who got picked.

I honestly did not see any of the chemistry in this book with anybody but one of the side characters that only really showed up for the shock factor. I mean, when a guy shows up only three or four times in the entire book, well, that makes me think the author didn't know what to do, so she wrote in a completely unrelated character, that I honestly thought should be Ella's love interest. Throughout the entire book, I was hoping that somehow, he'd end up being the one. He was the one with the best character, and the best character development, even though he was only there three or four times.

He was the completely out there bad boy. And I really wish I would've gotten to read a lot more about him, because he was the best character. Sexy, bad-ass, all the essential guy qualities. He could have been great as the love interest, because there was a lot more chemistry between those two than there was Alex and Ella. I would have much rather it had been Daniel and Ella. It so would have worked. Shy, invisible girl, with hot, tattooed, rebel guy. Don't you think it would have worked well?

Now, to be honest, this met with one expectation: Truth or Dare. But not in the way that I was expecting. The Truth or Dare in this book was mediocre at best. She played it with her two best friends, not with the guy. That's what I was expecting. Truth or Dare with the guy. Played in a slightly dangerous way. Look at that cover, it just puts off a slight cute romance/con artist vibe. So, all in all, I enjoyed it, but it really wasn't my thing. It was just kind of....meh.



♠♠
Favorite Quote:
I dropped my hand. "Yeah right." I sagged against him a little. For being skinny as he is, Frankie's really solid. "It's never me."

2 comments:

  1. I did really want to read this, but your the first I've seen review it and not so much anymore. I see what you mean going into a book thinking this is awesome then being so disappointed. The cover does make it look cute. But sound like that is it!! Thanks for an awesome review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for reading my review! If you want to read it, I would go for it. You may just love it. :)

      Delete