May 7, 2012

The Piper's Son (Sequel to Saving Francesca) by Melina Marchetta

Award-winning author Melina Marchetta reopens the story of the group of friends from her acclaimed novel Saving Francesca - but five years have passed, and now it's Thomas Mackee who needs saving. After his favorite uncle was blown to bits on his way to work in a foreign city, Tom watched his family implode. He quit school and turned his back on his music and everyone that mattered, including the girl he can't forget. Shooting for oblivion, he's hit rock bottom, forced to live with his single, pregnant aunt, work at the Union pub with his former friends, and reckon with his grieving, alcoholic father. Tom's in no shape to mend what's broken. But what if no one else is either? An unflinching look at family, forgiveness, and the fierce inner workings of love and friendship, The Piper's Son redefines what it means to go home again.


My Thoughts/Review:

There were way to many characters  in the first few chapters of this book. By the fifth page, I had trouble keeping them straight. But by the fifth chapter, when it kind of mellowed out, I forgave Marchetta for bombarding me with names. Tom didn't really get much development in Saving Francesca, but he got his own book out of the deal, so now he has tons of character development.

When we start out, Tom seems to be your typical angst filled character (it pains me saying that) but he really grew throughout the book into a recognizable human being. The thing with Tara though, I was just rooting for them the entire time. Something I don't get, who changed Will Trombal? (When you read it, you'll figure out what I mean.) *shudder*  Anyways, back to the story. Tom was writing emails to Tara, and his aunt was writing emails to her dead brother. It added to the story, I'll give it that, but there's only so much you can take of angst, angst, angst in a character. Also, I've never read a book where an aunt and nephew switch points of view.

I liked it, but the writing wasn't as good as that of Saving Francesca, or Jellicoe Road. It actually kind of seemed like a filler title. And I was dissapointed by the ending. You know that sinking feeling at the end of a book that didn't meet your expectations? Here we are.
                
                          ♠♠♠

No comments:

Post a Comment