May 8, 2012

Everneath(Everneath #1) by Brodi Ashton


Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever. 


She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.


Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.


As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...



My Thoughts/Review:

For the first 4 or 5 chapters of this book, I honestly thought about putting it down. Then came the sixth chapter. The chapter that started the characters real development, and shot you right into the world of Everneath. Because for the first few chapters, nothing really made sense, and everything kind of sucked. But once you got into it, you just had to know exactly what happened next!

I really loved how Nikki described what had happened to her, and how it happened, by using scenes of her life before the feed, and after the feed. Now if you don't really understand what the feed is, which was my problem at the beginning of the book, it can be kind of confusing. Because your sitting there thinking, "How did we get here from there?" and maybe it doesn't make sense. But as you go through the events leading up to  the feed, you maybe start to get why she did it, and why she returned.

Now, Jack and Nikki's relationship was really complicated, because they weren't really together, but they weren't ever really apart. They remembered each other. And it helped Nikki get through the feed, and everything else, because Jack remembered her. He never let her go. At which point we realize, Jack is Swoon-worthy. I love characters like him. The handsome hero, that's maybe not such a hero after all. He doesn't try to be, he just is. Nikki's life is kind of dark after the feed, but it didn't stop her from trying to reconnect to Jack, and that's what makes Nikki a likeable enough character. That kind of kick-ass determination.

This story is a modern retelling of the myth of Persephone, but it doesn't really make you think Persephone, it makes you think about Greek gods, mixed with Egyptian Hieroglyphics. Odd, no? Because why would a greek myth use Egyptian Hieroglyphics? It's weird. But it works. The plot was fast, but I enjoyed this book a lot. Was I surprised at the ending? Yes, yes I was. I imagined every other scenario, but this is the one that came true.

                                                                    ♠♠♠
                                                              Favorite Quote:
Everyone stopped existing. Everyone except for Jack, and even the memory of him was something I had to reach out and touch every so often, so as not to lose it.

5 comments:

  1. Loved the review, I have yet to read this one not sure why I still haven't picked it up since I love the retellings of Persephone's myth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always loved retellings of greek myths too. :)
      The Magic Tree House series was like my M.O. when I was about 8 or so. Lots of myths, and even more true stuff. :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this book. This, too (along with all the others I listed in my friend request), was one of my favorite books of 2012. OMG I just LOVED Jack. And Nikki. And the world Ashton created. Can't wait for book 2!! :D

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally wasn't a love for me, but greek myths...love them. Love the affect they have on people. Just really want to read more greek mythisness! EEE! I can't wait for Everbound! Oh, and Jack is pretty dang fabulous, I have to admit! :D

      Delete
    2. YAY! Glad we agree about Jack, at least! Cuz he's fab! :D

      Delete