May 23, 2012

The Summer I Turned Pretty(Summer #1) by Jenny Han


The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)
Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. 


They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.

My Thoughts/Review:

I really love this book. It's just so sweet, and it has a great beach read feel, which is what I need right now. Kind of like a vacation. Belly is such an amazing character, because I can imagine the way she is, and to be honest, she's a lot like me. She's stubborn, and opinionated. That's the only things that make her like me, but that's enough for me to love her. All great female protagonists should be stubborn and opinionated. People are so much better when they have actual opinions.

The Conrad/Jeremiah/Cam love triangle was kind of a lot, but Belly really didn't have any feelings toward Cam at all. Jeremiah and Conrad's aspect is actually very interesting, because in a way, she loves them both. She's known them her entire life, so she loves them both as brothers, but with you know, a bit of romance for one of them. Cause you can't really love someone as a brother and want to date them, can you? That would be really weird.

I really like the entire beach house aspect, because I've never actually been to the beach. Or seen the ocean. So, I read as many books as I can about the ocean, so I can feel closer to it. So when there is a book about the ocean, and I really love it, it makes it seem more real, and definitely better, based on the descriptions. So, this book is a really sweet read, with a bit of a twist in it that you may not expect. I love those kinds of endings. They just make the story. So, all in all, I'd say it was a read that I'll recommend to you.



♠♠♠♠ 
Favorite Quote:
The thing is, Susannah was right. It was a summer I'd never, ever forget. It was the summer everything began. It was the summer I turned pretty. Because for the first time, I felt it. Pretty, I mean. Every summer up to this one, I believed it'd be different. Life would be different. And that summer it finally was. I was.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely quote from a trilogy I've heard great things about :) I'm compiling a shelf with summer reads on Goodreads and this sounds like the perfect addition. Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great addition! I would also recommend Fall From Grace by Charles Benoit. It's great! :)
      Thank you! :)

      Delete