September 27, 2013

The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram

The Avery Shaw Experiment
The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Bluefields
Publication Date: May 4, 2013
When Avery Shaw’s heart is shattered by her life-long best friend, she chooses to deal with it the only way she knows how—scientifically.

The state science fair is coming up and Avery decides to use her broken heart as the topic of her experiment. She’s going to find the cure. By forcing herself to experience the seven stages of grief through a series of social tests, she believes she will be able to get over Aiden Kennedy and make herself ready to love again. But she can’t do this experiment alone, and her partner (ex partner!) is the one who broke her heart.

Avery finds the solution to her troubles in the form of Aiden’s older brother Grayson. The gorgeous womanizer is about to be kicked off the school basketball team for failing physics. He’s in need of a good tutor and some serious extra credit. But when Avery recruits the lovable Grayson to be her “objective outside observer,” she gets a whole lot more than she bargained for, because Grayson has a theory of his own: Avery doesn’t need to grieve. She needs to live. And if there’s one thing Grayson Kennedy is good at, it’s living life to the fullest.

When I started The Avery Shaw Experiment, I really had no idea what to expect. A few of my favorite bloggers had read it and liked it, so I decided to give it a shot, because it looked seriously cute. Turns out that it was adorable in every way imaginable! Grayson and Avery ended up being so cute together-- you don't even know yet. Pretty soon into the book I was laughing and seriously cheering them on. They were very likable as a couple, so I just couldn't help but swoon over almost every one of their interactions.

Grayson was so, so, so...hott. I loved him, I truly did. I always found myself racing to the next chapter through his point of view, then thoroughly devouring it so that I could move onto the next and the next. The Avery Shaw Experiment would be crazy comfort reading, let me tell you! Anywho, back to my favorite boy, Grayson. Everything that he did just managed to dig me into a hole deeper and deeper with my crush...fictionally, of course... he was just sweet and kind and protective! Seriously. Let me share an oh-so-smexy quotes.

*SPOILERY* I always looked at her as sort of a pesky little sister, but all that changed the day my brother dumped her. Why, you ask? Let me put it this way: When a girl lets you be the one to hold her as her entire world falls apart, even though you're ass naked, it changes the way you see her.*SPOILERISH QUOTE END*

The scene that he kind of describes, well, it made me guffaw out loud. I found myself laughing a lot during this book, which was really nice. Some of the crude jokes were a little much, but they totally had me smiling throughout the book.

On to Avery, who is, of course, the main character. I really enjoyed her chapters too, but I think that Grayson shall remain my favorite. BUT. Avery was still a fun character to read about, and I liked her insights on everything. She seemed to be completely honest with herself, and just so down to earth and sweet. I'm so sad that she had to fall for Aiden (duh, we're curing a broken heart here, y'all) who really was a jerk. I think I kind of hate him, to tell you the truth.

But I love all of the secondary characters. Libby was so quirky and weird and hilarious, and all of the other science geeks were great too. I also enjoyed Grayson's friends. All in all, The Avery Shaw Experiment really is an awesome book. I totally recommend it!

10 comments:

  1. Megan, thank you for sharing your thoughts about this book. I have to say that I probably wouldn't pick it up (I have really bad habit of picking my next book because of pretty or hot cover), but now I'm intrigued to read it.

    Glass @ Way Too Hot Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL we talked about this one a little, but I am SO glad you liked it *^*
    Love your review! Grayson was my favorite as well. Total book crush on the guy! He was just so #$^#W*&W$@#^$%&W$# *dreamy sigh*
    This books is just the most adorable thing ever. By the way, I really recommend Being Jamie Baker by this author. One of my absolute favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard much about this one, but I do like the sound of Grayson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grayson was awesome, and I hadn't heard very much about it until a couple months ago! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeehoo!! I really loved it-- and it's so weird that this review published today...because I totally read it like a month ago. LOL. ;D


    *dreamy sigh* Is right, girly! I loved him so much-- words cannot describe his dreaminess.^.^


    I love that one too! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, sweetie! And no problem, LOL. I usually do the exact same thing-- I'm a cover judger, I can't help it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when a book that I don't know what to expect about it ends up turning out pretty good :) Libby sounds awesome! I have a thing for characters that are quirky. Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable books are so great and I'm glad it was because that's what it looked like on the cover! And books that make me laugh always gain a lot of points as well as lovable characters, including secondary ones! LOVE the review, Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that feeling too-- best thing ever! Libby was hilarious-- I really liked her! :D Thanks, Janina!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's what I gathered from the cover too-- LOL! This would probably gain a LOT of points with you-- it was really adorable and funny. (: Thank you thank you thank you, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete