September 23, 2013

Hooked by Liz Fichera

Hooked (Hooked, #1)
Hooked by Liz Fichera
Series: Hooked, #1
Source: Harlequin Teen Panel
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: January 29, 2013
When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.
Hooked just wasn't as intense as I had hoped it would be. I was hoping for heart-stopping, everyone is against them and they don't care type romance. Sadly, in that regard, this one fell short, but that doesn't mean that it didn't have many redeeming qualities.

I really liked Fred as a character. I'm a little miffed at her name, but it's all good. I enjoyed that she talked about her ancestors and her people, yet it didn't seem over the top or all signs point to yes. She really seemed to be very deep and wise, which is such a weird thing to say about a teenage girl, but it's true.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have Ryan. To be honest, I have no idea what I think of him. I didn't find him to really be my type, so I can't ramble about how swoony he is...I think the thing to say would be this; he was really sweet, even if he did do some jerk things in the beginning, I'm pretty sure that he made up for them towards the end.

I was really excited to see that this was written in alternating points of view-- I love seeing things through more than one set of eyes! Thankfully, I didn't get Ryan and Fred mixed up, which was a huge plus.
Sadly, though, I'm not sure that I really love-loved the romance. It fell a little flat on me, but it's worth a read just the same, as long as you can get past all of the golf...which trust me, isn't too hard, even if golf is completely uninteresting to you.

All in all, Hooked was not all that I had hoped it to be, but it was still a good read and I'll be looking for more from this author in the future.

8 comments:

  1. Maja (The Nocturnal Library)September 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM

    It's great that the characters' voices were so well separated and distinctive, but it's all about the romance, so it doesn't bode well that the romance didn't work well for you.
    I've been seeing this one around a lot, but I honestly don't think it's right for me.
    Great review, Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you didn't like this one more, I enjoyed it but I think that was because I went in with almost no expectations. The romance was a bit weak, I agree. Ryan was an okay character, I wasn't too impressed with him either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went into it with expectations, sadly. I'm glad that you agree, that makes me feel better! (: I wish that I had liked him more, but I'm actually looking forward to the sequel for this one. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree-- it is all about romance, but then the romance didn't work for me so the book didn't work for me either. :/ Thanks, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. I thought this would be more like Pushing the Limits, but in the end it was fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree-- I wanted this to be like PTL, and it was okay but not what I wanted. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The golf parts were actually super interesting to me but the characterization wasn't as strong as I would have hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear that you liked the golf! (: Characters could have been stronger, I agree.

    ReplyDelete