September 6, 2013

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.
I've been locked up for 264 days.

Shatter Me was a hard book to rate. On one hand, I really liked it and would love to read the next book, but on the other I was a tad bit disappointed. Although the text was very poetic and pretty, I was confused by the crossed out statements.

Juliette disappointed me. I wanted to like her so much, and I did; but she has retreated so far into herself. Basically, she's built huge walls that she doesn't want anyone to get around, and I wished that she hadn't been so hard on anyone. I get that she can't touch people, and that everyone in her life has abandoned her, I just don't know why she wants to alienate people.

I did like seeing little glimpses of her life before, though. She had a bad childhood, which makes me get her a little more, but I feel like we couldn't really connect. I didn't really connect with Adam either, even though I do find him a good love interest for her.

Which brings me to my next point. The love was a little rushed, in my opinion. I didn't understand how they could have "loved each other for so long", when they hadn't even talked before they got locked up together. I get that they love each other for their actions, but I think that there should be more to love than that.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the romance, it was a good steamy romance...but that just wasn't enough without the love to work around, you know? I wish that there had been more development on that front.

I also wish that Warner had been given more development as a villain. At this point, I just know that he's creepy and a little psychotic. I don't fear him at all, which in my opinion should be changed. I should be deathly afraid of him, but I'm not.

All in all, Shatter Me is worth the read, but I was just a tad disappointed in it.

5 comments:

  1. I loved reading your review, Megan! I really liked Shatter Me, but I had problems like you stated, mainly my problem was the romance. But if you read Unravel Me, Warner really develops as well as in his novella Destroy Me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sunny! Shatter Me was a fairly good read...just, you know. LOL. I really need to read both of those! Thanks for the comment, girly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this book setting on my bookshelf for like forever! I'm a bit disappointed this book falls prey to instalove. I hope it has enough plot and storyline for me to enjoy and maybe overlook the failed romance piece. However, you say the writing is poetic and beautiful, I'm totally into that. So, you haven't inspired me to pick up this book right now, I'm sure I'll get to reading it sooner than later though. Thanks for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't much like the writing for this book but I loved Warner's charisma-I have high hopes for book 2 after reading a bunch of reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have huge hopes for book two also! I really want to read it, LOL.

    ReplyDelete