September 19, 2013

Ink by Amanda Sun

Ink (Paper Gods, #1)
Ink by Amanda Sun
Series: Paper Gods, #1
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: June 25, 2013
On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive.
It was my destiny. I was going to face it. It was my life. I was going to live it.

First off, when I began Ink, (based on some reviews and the info) I was expecting a paranormal-- one without much unique information, and with a wasted potential. I can't help it, but I am overly judgmental about paranormal type books in general. It's a side effect of not being impressed by one in a long time.

But anyway, back on subject. I was fairly surprised by this one. Because the premise of Ink was done very well-- lots of details and wonderful Japanese myths. But...I felt like it was too much sometimes. I liked the fact that we got so much insight, but...well, it was just too much. For one, I am not a native speaker of Japanese. All of the interlaced phrases and random words just weren't ever explained to my standards. Because of the large culture differences (American and Japanese) I couldn't even deduct into what context the phrases were used. This was quite aggravating to me, as you can tell! I just....ARGGGHHHH. I wish that I could have understood them!

But before I go on a rampage, I'll move onto something else. The gang thing. The way to know gang members in Japan is by whether or not they have tattoos...it seems like they're being very obvious, but that's their customs. Anyway, the gangs were at times very prevalent then at other times barely there. I could not get a feel for that. It's either a part of it or it's not, right?

Some of the facts just didn't add up. *SPOILER*Like this one: only Kami or people with "ink" in their blood can see Kami drawings move, according to the man in the temple. But...Ishikawa saw the dragon and now the Japanese gang is after Tomo because he can draw things into reality...BUT IF THEY CAN'T SEE IT HOW DO THEY KNOW IT'S THERE? Hello? Are you listening to me? No one but the Kami/ink in their blood folks should have seen. *SPOILER END*

Ahem. Anyway. Katie seemed like a very hesitant character to me. Sometimes she was just so brave, and she took charge of her own destiny and I liked her for that; but other times...she was different. Sometimes she wasn't courageous. Sometimes she was all careful and such. I guess that makes her a normal girl, though, so I applaud her for that one.

Tomo was very strange-- I don't even know that by the end I even liked him. Sometimes he was such a jerk-- and he was doing it on purpose. Other times, well, he was all sensitive and sweet and I just wanted to give them this huge hug. But then he'd be a jerk again and I'd want to hit him. (That doesn't sound like I have a dysfunctional relationship with him at all.)

Speaking of which, the relationship between Katie and Tomo came too soon. In my opinion, of course. It seemed like they weren't friends for very long before it got all awkward and romantic like. It was introduced way too quickly.

All in all, in spite of my issues with Ink, I really do think that it was a good read. A definite change from the norm...I just...well, you know.

5 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to think that we have very different book tastes... lol.
    As of romances, I really hate it when relationships are so fast. >_< It makes it all... AWKWARD *squirms Dx*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, maybe. It's okay, though. Everyone has different taste, right? ;)


    I KNOW, RIGHT? And you just sit there squirming and being all AWKWARD. Lol. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. And then you want to duck and hide and not come out from under a rock or cave for a few days to get past the awkwardness... I love it when books write quick romance without being awkward though. Bonus points (okay, I don't really give bonus points, but toodles to the author for not making it awkward)!
    (New-ish follower - love the header and background!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan@The Book BabeOctober 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM

    Yes. I totally do that, and I do give props to authors who can make a fast romance work. (: Thanks, girly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd lkke to find out more? I'd want tto find out some additional information.

    my webpage: warez downloads

    ReplyDelete