September 3, 2013

Keep Me Ghosted by Karen Cantwell

Keep Me Ghosted (Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance #1)
Keep Me Ghosted by Karen Cantwell
Series: Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance, #1
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Boundless
Publication Date: March 15, 2013
Ghosts. Do you Believe?

Sophie Rhodes doesn't have a choice. She's surrounded by them.

Desperate to pay the bills, 29-year-old Sophie ignores the advice of her stuffy spirit-friend, Marmaduke Dodsworth, and takes a job with the handsome Dr. Callahan, an optometrist with a desperate situation of his own. The good doctor's problem? He has a spirit-friend as well: one with a fiery crush and a vicious jealous streak. When chemistry starts to brew between Sophie and Dr. Callahan, his green-eyed ghost wreaks some bad-tempered havoc, scaring away his patients and putting Sophie on edge. Will Sophie give up the ghost and quit the new job, or buck up and find a way to rid Dr. Callahan of his pesky specter, freeing their romance to find a life of its own?
I was expecting Keep Me Ghosted to be a fun romp of a read...I was disappointed by that. It was fun sometimes, but it was mostly bogged down by a weirdly paced plot. Some parts were really slow...the first 73%, I wasn't sure if anything was ever going to really happen. But after that point, it seemed like everything just dropped out of the sky-- the pacing went from really slow to extremely fast all at once.

Just do me a favor-- read the description. I was led to believe that Sophie was absolutely surrounded by ghosts, and that her and Dr. Callahan were going to have fab chemistry. Both were extreme exaggerations. Sophie only has one ghost around-- her friend Marmaduke. And while he was great, I was expecting more. I did like him as a character, though. He added a certain level of sarcasticness. I laughed at several of his one-liners. But on to the chemistry-- I really wasn't feeling it.

Sophie of herself didn't really inspire me. She wasn't a bad character, but she wasn't fantastic or anything. I think that the author tried too hard to make her characters quirky. Sophie has a pet flying squirrel and a one-eyed cat, and Cal is one of the only doctor's in his chosen field: vision therapy. I wasn't emotionally invested in them at all, I'm sad to say.

The whole story seemed rushed, to tell you the truth. Not well planned out or executed. Keep Me Ghosted just didn't turn out the way that I hoped it would.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this one didn't catch your attention, either. The cover is lovely and the description intriguing, but I trust your word and won't waste my money on it.

    Sarah @ Kitties Like Books Too

    ReplyDelete
  2. It failed at catching my attention. :/ Thank you! Maybe you would like it, though! Also, I tried to go comment on your blog but I'm locked out. :( I'm too young! o.o

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has an age restriction /: maybe when I start reviewing more YA works, I'll take it off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be cool. I'd like to read your reviews! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HATE misleading summaries :(
    That's happen to me too many times.


    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too! We should start some kind of a movement, LOL! Thanks, Rashika!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WE SHOULD!
    Petition??

    ReplyDelete