September 10, 2013

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Series: N/A
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: September 10, 2013
Cath is a Simon Snow fan.
Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
I really expected to love Fangirl. I liked it, but I feel like it didn't resonate with me as deeply as it could have.

I really liked Cath as a character, but I just couldn't relate to the fandom. I did relate to almost everything else about her, though. Nerdy, socially retarded, and not leaving her room ever...that's me completely. She was so weird that it was endearing. I really liked that about her-- I liked her hesitance towards new situations, and just really enjoyed her as a character.

But as much as I liked Cath, I feel like the secondary characters lacked a bit. I enjoyed Levi and Reagan, but I don't feel like I really got to know them throughout the book. I mean, I can't even tell you where Reagan worked, and she does work somewhere. We get to see Levi a lot more, but I can tell you very little about him too-- it's like we got a quick school on them, and it didn't ever go any deeper than that. I can't very well tell you some of the most basic things about them.

Going past that though, I did enjoy Cath and Levi's relationship. They were very cute together, and they balanced each other out pretty well. I loved the scenes between them-- I don't think they could have been any cuter. It actually reminds me of a John Green quote, which is crazy.

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly at first, then all at once."

I liked that the situations seemed very realistic-- I could imagine them all happening, which was great. But back to the fandom-- I loved how it was like this alternate of Harry Potter-- it made it so much easier to believe, because you could compare it to the HP fandom, and it all made sense.

The only thing that really disappointed me to speak up was the ending-- I feel like not everything was resolved. We kind of end up with an open type ending, which isn't really my thing, you know?

All in all, Fangirl was a good read, and I'm not disappointed, but I feel like it could have been better. I don't know why.

8 comments:

  1. I might actually enjoy this one! I'm not much of a Fangirl, but I can relate to being the weird girl who never leaves her room... Guess we have some things in common, huh? :D

    Sarah @ Kitties Like Books Too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't love this one as much as you thought, but I'm glad you found it overall enjoyable. I'm excited to check it out soon. I think I'll really like it because I can seriously relate to being a fangirl. LOL
    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaw I'm sorry you didn't love it as much. Seriously girl! Get a new five star book!!
    Great review Megs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :/ I'll get a five star book soon, Inks, I swear!! Thanks. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did. I hope that you like it, girly! LOL. I can't really, that's probably why it didn't work as well as it could have for me. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I'm not a fangirl really either. I can relate to that, but not much of the rest of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm usually someone who hates an open ending but I felt this one was very appropriate-I feel like the most important issues were addressed. Are you going to check out Eleanor and Park? I prefer that one anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely going to check out Eleanor and Park! I've heard such good things about it. And LOL, I sometimes like open endings, but other times I don't. It's just me. LOL.

    ReplyDelete