April 16, 2012

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman


Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science. . .and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.
There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship. . .and reality.


Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?


My Thoughts/Review:

This book really wasn't my thing. I like paranormals, and I like romances, but this book had none of the paranormal that I was expecting, and the romance seemed kind of stilted at times. Other times it was great, but that doesn't make up for the stiltedness. Leo and Miranda were okay I guess, but they really never got out of their awkward phase (the first phase of a relationship).Not one of the questions asked throughout the book got answered. Is Leo a merman? Is Miranda part mermaid? Who is the Sailor Hat guy? The list goes on and on. The story was okay, and it helped that it was raining when I read it, but I won't be remembering this book as a favorite. There was too many loose ends that never got tied up, and I just can't handle that in a book.



                                                 ♠

2 comments:

  1. I read this book quite a while ago and felt the same things. The loose ends were what really bugged me too and I couldn't connect with the characters. Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The loose ends drove me insane. Because that was the part I was looking forward to the most! The part where all the loose ends got tied up. But I never got it. Thanks for the compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete