November 2, 2012

Generation Dead (Generation Dead #1) by Daniel Waters


Generation Dead (Generation Dead, #1)


Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush. He’s strong and silent…and dead.

All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn’t want them. 

The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the “differently biotic." But the students don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the “living impaired” from the people who want them to disappear—for good. 

When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?


My Thoughts/Review:

First of all, I think I need to say that I've read this book before. So maybe that's why this book was ruined for me, and it's why I don't think that it was really all the great. Maybe I just don't like it because I knew the ending already, and that the ending was all I could think when I was reading it. Maybe it's good that the ending stuck with me, but other than that, I really don't think that this book made a very big impression on me.

For one, all of the characters kind of fell flat for me. I thought that Adam, Margi, Phoebe, and Tommy all could've been much better characters, if they had been given the chance for more development. Adam is pretty much stereotypical, and he's one of may favorite characters in this book! Actually, scratch that. Takayuki is my favorite. Don't ask me why, but maybe if you read it you'll understand.

Phoebe and Margi were also cliche female leads, and it's going to drive me insane, because when I was younger, I remember liking this book. Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining, and it came out with a solid three stars, but...more character development would've been nice. I'm a total sucker for good character development, so it would've salvaged the whole book.

I also thought that the sentences seemed a bit stilted, and that contractions would have been nice. In a lot of the cases, contractions would've helped my overall understanding of the story, because I absolutely confused myself several times, and found my eyes skimming several paragraphs. All in all, I enjoyed parts of this novel, but it doesn't sit very high on my favorites list.

stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10

4 comments:

  1. It's too bad that this one wasn't as good the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I hated Phoebe.....but then again I hate most female leads. She was just so boring and needy! Blech. I couldn't even get through the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that problem too! A lot of female leads--I just can't stand them!

      There are some--like Tris from Divergent--that I loved to death in the first book, and now I'm just hoping she makes a comeback in the third book!

      I thought that Phoebe was super boring and needy too--I just was too lazy to write something super long about a character I didn't like. ;)

      I know that I read all three, but I don't remember anything that happened in the other two, so based on my problems with this book, I don't think I'll be picking up the next.

      Thanks for commenting, Sophia! ;D

      Delete