April 16, 2012

The Latte Rebellion by Sarah Jamila Stevenson


Our philosophy is simple: Promote a latte-colored world! —from the Latte Rebellion Manifesto


When high school senior Asha Jamison gets called a "towel head" at a pool party, the racist insult gives Asha and her best friend Carey a great money-making idea for a post-graduation trip. They'll sell T-shirts promoting the Latte Rebellion, a club that raises awareness of mixed-race students.


Seemingly overnight, their "cause" goes viral and the T-shirts become a nationwide fad. As new chapters spring up from coast to coast, Asha realizes that her simple marketing plan has taken on a life of its own-and it's starting to ruin hers. Asha's once-stellar grades begin to slip, threatening her Ivy League dreams, and her friendship with Carey is hanging by a thread. And when the peaceful underground movement turns militant, Asha's school launches a disciplinary hearing.Facing expulsion, Asha must decide how much she's willing to risk for something she truly believes in.


My Thoughts/Review:

This book was a slow read. Not because it was boring, but because I wanted to take it all in. What a great idea! If the Latte Rebellion existed in real life, it would be something I would do. I mean, I can honestly say that I've had to check 'Other' for race on a couple of applications myself. Because, I kid you not, I am 1/6 of EVERYTHING. Seriously. I'm a mutt. Asha was a really cool character that I could definitely relate too. She had drive, and a little bit of spunk too. But when she was depressed, it was a real girl right there. A three-dimensional character, if you will. The Book was great, and it raises some very interesting issues concerning racism and the hateful things that people do.


                                    ♠♠♠

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting, I definitely need to read a book about that deals with tough issues like racism.

    I love, love, love your new header! It's gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think my headers pretty cool too. :)
    This book dealt really well with racism! I was really surprised. Plus the cover actually represents the story pretty well!

    ReplyDelete