April 23, 2012

Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin

Phoebe finds herself drawn to Mallory, the strange and secretive new kid in school, and the two girls become as close as sisters . . . until Mallory's magnetic older brother, Ryland, shows up during their junior year. Ryland has an immediate, exciting hold on Phoebe-but a dangerous hold, for she begins to question her feelings about her best friend and, worse, about herself. Soon she'll discover the shocking truth about Ryland and Mallory: that these two are visitors from the faerie realm who have come to collect on an age-old debt. Generations ago, the faerie queen promised Pheobe's ancestor five extraordinary sons in exchange for the sacrifice of one ordinary female heir. But in hundreds of years there hasn't been a single ordinary girl in the family, and now the faeries are dying. Could Phoebe be the first ordinary one? Could she save the faeries, or is she special enough to save herself?


My Thoughts/Review:

It was beautiful. The first part was amazing, and I just couldn't put it down. It got a little weird in the middle when Ryland showed up, but the author fixed that part when she wrote the rest of it. Phoebe was a pretty good character, because she grew throughout the book. When you first meet her you think that she's very easily led, or that she's very weak and dull. But she proves you wrong throughout the rest of the book. I have a confession to make. I really, really hated Ryland. He was awful, and he put down Phoebe all the time. And Phoebe thought she loved him! Her love was a lot more obsession than love, and Ryland was totally indifferent towards her. Something I liked though, was the conversations with the Fairy Queen. It added that perfect balance of magic and fantasy to Phoebe's world. The story progressed rather quickly, but it was still amazing. Cause sometimes your just in the mood for a story that doesn't take 100 pages to get into, ya know what I mean? All in all, I loved it.
                                  ♠♠♠
"I'm ordinary," she whispered again. And having said it, she felt the truth of it. She felt it to her bones. She was actually worse than ordinary; she was sort of nothing.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been meaning to read this one since I first saw that lovely cover. I love that quote! I'll have to get it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is attractive. This isn't a book I would normally check out but you've presented it in such a way that it actually did tweak my interest.

    Very cute blog. You've got a new follower. ;)

    http://auggie-talk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I really liked it. :)
    I followed you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous cover! I haven't heard of this book before, but I definitely wanna add it to my TBR list right away! Great review

    your newest follower,
    Kristin
    Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely add it to your TBR List! Thanks, I followed you too. :)

    ReplyDelete