January 14, 2013

The Awakening by Marley Gibson

The Awakening (Ghost Huntress, #1)
Title: The Awakening
Author: Marley Gibson
Series: Ghost Huntress, #1
Source: Author for Review
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Publication Date: May 4, 2009
GoodReads||The Book Depository
Get out your tape recorders, crystals, and extra batteries-- you're about to go where our world meets the spirit world.

Psychic Kids, Paranormal State, Haunting Evidence--these and countless other television shows are making believers out of millions of people: Ghosts exist, and they're living right beside us. For centuries, individuals have been trying to prove the existence of ghosts. But without hard evidence, it's been difficult to make the case. But now as science and technology have progressed, ghost hunters have been able to use scientific means, along with more traditional psychic tools, to make their case. Photographs, video recordings, and sound recordings are all producing some amazing results.

In this new series, Ghost Huntress, meet Kendall Moorehead, a seemingly typical teen. When her family moves from Chicago to the small historical town of Radisson, Georgia, her psychic abilities awaken. She's hearing, feeling, and seeing things that seem unbelievable at first, but with the help of the town psychic, Kendall is able to come to terms with her newly emerging gift. So, together with her new BFF, Celia, Kendall forms a ghost hunting team. They've got all the latest technology. They've got Kendall for their psychic. Now they're going to clean up Radisson of its less savory spirits.

The story is fiction. The science is real. Welcome to a new reality.
Honestly, I'm struggling while writing this review. I wrote out an entire one, then I decided that it didn't say what I needed it to. And I need it to say that while I enjoyed The Awakening, it's just not a book that I can see myself reading over and over. Ugh. I don't know how to write this review at all...

It's not that I didn't like The Awakening...I did to a point. But all of my thoughts on this novel totally conflict, and I can't sort through them enough to write a comprehensible review. They all demand to be spoken, so prepare for a long bout of random thoughts.

I like the way that Marley Gibson writes, because it seems so fresh and unique when you're reading it. But I don't truly understand why all of her characters are so very sweet, yet they can all cuss up a pretty good storm. I mean, no F-bombs or anything, but they really can tell you how they're feeling with a few choice words.

The ghost hunting was interesting, but a lot of the time it felt like the scenes were a bit forced. For instance, in one of the scenes near the beginning, Kendall tells someone that all the windows of the place they're investigating have been painted shut since 1970. Later in the book, they contact a spirit who's a bit fiesty...and he OPENS the windows. This is either supposed to show amazing strength on his part, or I'm supposed to forget that those windows were painted shut. Either way, I don't really get it.

Also, Kendall and Jason fall into "like like" a little too quickly for my taste. It honestly seemed like they'd just met, had an argument, then they go on a hunt and BAM. They start kissing at a completely inopportune moment. That just kills it for me. I could have lived without their little hormone/adrenaline filled moment. They were great as friends, so I don't really understand why they had to become more.

As for Kendall's other friends, I did enjoy them, but I felt like all of their interactions and fights and stuff should have been more capitalized on. They fight, then they all make up so quickly that it made my head hurt a bit. I wish that we could have seen more development on all of their parts, and maybe less simplistic relationships. Because anyone can tell you that relationships can be very trying.

The ghost hunting part WAS interesting, but I think that I was focused so much on the characters that I missed a lot of that, and I found myself skimming pages a couple times. I liked the technical points that were added to the hunting, but other than that I found it unmemorable.

All in all, I did enjoy parts of The Awakening, but it just didn't have the impact on me that it could have.
"You were a good girl. So full of life and spirit and spunk. I never left you, though, Kendall. I've been with you every day of your life, whether you could see me or not." ~ Pg. 336

No comments:

Post a Comment