January 28, 2013

Splintered by A.G. Howard

Splintered
Title: Splintered
Author: A.G. Howard
Series: N/A
Source: Won
Publisher: Abrams
Publication Date: January 1, 2013
Goodreads||The Book Depository
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.
Splintered is one of those books that you read because the premise just sounds fantastic. You read nothing but good reviews, and you wonder, "how will this book ever live up to the hype that they've built for it? How could it ever?" Then you're reading it and you start to think, "hey, it lives up to it. But is it what I really wanted?"

I'm conflicted. Did I like it? Of course! But was it everything I had wanted and more? No. It's nothing more than it claims to be-- it's not the earth shattering book that I've been expecting. It had enough plot turns to entertain me, and sometimes even confuse me, but I could have done without some of those. It's one of those that made me not want to read this book every day for the rest of my life-- see outlined problem in between the brackets. {I wanted  Jeb to remember. It chaps me that he doesn't, because they basically had this epic romance, and she told him things and he told her things, and SHE  gets to remember them, while he doesn't. He should get a choice!} Other than that, IT WAS FAB.

I liked Alyssa, because she was just so weird and out there, and her fashion sense is just to DIE for. I've always loved that kind of stuff. Plus, she skateboards. How cool is that? I can ride a board in a straight line for several feet and do the "flipping the board up" trick, but that's not boarding to me. SHE can really board, dude. Seriously, it was awesome! I also liked that for most of the book you don't know-- is Alyssa really mad, or is she just hyperaware? Love those talking flowers and bugs!

I mean, that just makes the book. What if she wakes up and it was all this weird (albeit out-there) dream? What can she do about it?

Oh, Wonderland. How may I count thine strange and fantastical morbid weirdnessis? I can't-- but just know that it is AWESOME. The Rabid White, the Jabberlocky, and the Netherlings-- demented pixies, Toys that house souls, and elfin knights. Come on, how could I NOT be enchanted with such creatures? I'm a fan of the morbidly weird!

Also, JEB. Where can I get a boy like that? He dresses GRUNGE. He has a lip labret-- and he's SEXY. Seriously, I don't think you get it. I just like him, because he is one fine boy who gets tugged into Wonderland, and he wants to keep our protagonist safe-- I just cannot put my love for him down properly on paper.

All in all, Splintered had FANTASTIC imagery and great characters, but I'm a but miffed about the ending, because it seemed a tad bit rushed.
"Because finding who you were meant to be? What you were put in this world to do? That's what fills the emptiness. It's the only thing that can." ~ Pg. 368

14 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to reading Splintered! I cannot wait to get into Wonderland! I agree that the hype makes you wonder if it'll match up to your high expectations, but honestly, this book seems SO GOOD that I'm gonna read it nonetheless! Besides, your awesome review has made me more excited! Lovely review, Megan! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too! Wonderland was FAB. LOL, I was just trying to make a point. How often does the book really live up to hype? In my experience, not very often. Aww, thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  2. This book has been on my TBR pile for a while and I haven't seen a bad review yet so it makes me even more excited. How you described Alyssa makes me love her even more, even though I haven't read about her yet, as well as Jeb. The imagery sounds wonderful too :)

    Great review!
    Sunny @ Blue Sky Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! Almost since I first heard about it on-- goodreads, about four months ago. ;) I think that I saw a mediocre review, but I can't be sure. o_O THE IMAGERY. <3<3<3

      Thank you! (:

      Delete
  3. I felt the exact same way you did about Splintered. Was it great? YES. Was is mind-boggling fantastic? Not at all. Still, I liked it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! We're book soulmates! LOL. It was REALLY good, but it wasn't the best book that I've ever read. But I did like it. Thanks! :D

      Delete
  4. hmm. I felt much the same about Divergent. Liked it but it wasn't earth shattering. But I guess going in with that mind set, almost set up to fail. Don't know though. :)
    Anyways, great review.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Divergent, but it's because I hadn't really read anything about it, LOL. Going into a book with the mindset to be blown away just kills you every time. Thank you! (:

      Delete
  5. Haha, I love a heroine with the same name as mine - it's bound to get confusing for me, even though I know SHE'S not real :)

    My copy is one the way! Judging from your review, Megan, I will have to bump it up! Great review! :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's confusing, isn't it? But you're right, she's not real. ;) Yay! I can't wait to see what you think, Alyssa! :D Thank you! :D

      Delete
  6. Ooh another awesome review for this book! Right now, having read only fantastic reviews for it, I'm in the position you were when you started it, and I'm just hoping I don't let my expectations run away with themselves because generally that does the novel I'm hoping will be excellent no good. Alyssa sounds fantastic- unusual and imaginative and wonderful, and I'm really keen to see what her sense of clothing is like now because it sounds so great! Also, swooning at Jeb. Wants to keep our protagonist safe... *sigh.*
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't have bad reviews, does it? I KNOW. Like, today I finished The Fault in Our Stars, and my expectations were WAY up, so I really didn't love the book as much as I thought I would. I was so disappointed. :(

      Alyssa was awesome! Haha, it's very...steampunk/gothic/scene/morbid -wonderlandy. I don't know if that's really an accurate description, but it's the best that I could come up with. ;) HE IS SO SWOONY! :D

      Thank you! <3

      Delete
    2. Oh, sad to hear you didn't like TFiOS- it was one of my favourites for 2012 and I really just loved it, but it does have such a massive following and reputation that it isn't surprising when people are disappointed with it/other hyped up books because EXPECTATIONS! Ah well, I guess you can't like them all!

      Delete
    3. Hahaha, EXPECTATIONS! That's exactly it. If I hadn't built myself so high up on it, I wouldn't have been disappointed. I like John Green! I'm glad that you loved it! (:

      Delete