January 25, 2013

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Glitch (Glitch, #1)
Title: Glitch
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Series: Glitch, #1
Source: Traded for
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: August 7, 2012
Goodreads||The Book Depository
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.
Gah. That is the best intro word I could think of for this review. Gah. I liked this book, I honestly did, but I just can't look past all of the issues that I had with it. For one, the link. It connects all people, it controls their emotions, it makes them thoughtless drones. But here's Zoe, telling us about how her link reconnected and now she's a thoughtless drone. Okay, then how are you telling us this? If you are "thoughtless" and without emotion, how on EARTH can you tell us this?

That just didn't make sense to me. It just doesn't scream thoughtless drone, you know what I mean? Anywho, I don't think that I should continue with that train of thought. Moving on, but to another issue. Crackin' and shuntin'. What do you suppose that means? I can only imagine that they're some kind of cuss words, but seriously? I just couldn't get used to it all-- plus I had the added moment of horror where I was trying to figure out which cuss words they were replacing...unfortunately, I never did figure it out.

How did Max hear something over the link? He's glitching, he CAN'T. And then at some point in the book, he turns to Zoe and says "They just called for you over the link, Zoe." BUT HE'S NOT CONNECTED. How does he FREAKING KNOW? Plus, Max is honestly a freaking jerk. "Can I see your genitalia?" (Actual quote from him, I am not kidding. Ick.)

"Max hasn't talked to me in two weeks, ever since last night." I'm just paraphrasing here, but it's in the same chapter. She says that he hasn't talked to her in two weeks, then three minutes later she says that everything changed between her and Max last night. Okay, time lapse just happened. I'm sure that you thought I wouldn't catch that, BUT I DID.

But you know what? In spite of all of that, I liked Zoe and Adrien. I liked the story, even if all the points that I just mentioned were ridiculous. Zoe was just so curious and eager to experience emotion, and Adrien is helping her...what did you expect? I liked that part. I am a bit miffed that Zoe wasn't all I had hoped, but she was still a good character.

All in all, I had too many issues to really LOVE this book, but I definitely liked it.
"Beauty, happiness, they're things so big that they can't capture them with their scientific words. It's like what they used to call magic." ~ Pg. 90

10 comments:

  1. Well this is so funny. I wonder how you noticed all these flaws, sometimes I notice them in books, too. But everyone makes mistakes, so moving on....
    LOVED your review
    Might read this sometime
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. ;) Erm, you'd be surprised what you would notice going at it from a philosophical point of view-- LOL! Exactly, the book was still interesting. (: Thank you! I look forward to seeing what you think! (:

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I've heard mixed reviews about this one. Lots of "gah" responses, lol. My sis liked it, but she's able to look past a lot of flaws that I can't. I'll probably pass on Glitch. For now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I haven't actually read any reviews for this one-- I don't know why. I'm glad that she liked it! For now. ;) There may come a time! (:

      Delete
  3. I HATE when authors create their own swear words! I read a book like that once and it drove me crazy!! Sounds like this book had a lot of glitches of its own. I think I'll be passing on this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I just can't adjust-- it's my crazy weirdness, LOL. Sometimes it's okay, but I just can't...I want to know what it means! LOL. Yeah, it did. You're welcome! (:

      Delete
  4. I hear such mixed reviews on this that I just gave it up. Like the above, I hate custom swear words too. I'm reading one now where the f-word is "fuh." Mmmmmkay... Anyway, great review, I actually like a review that points out all the things that bothers the reader because I will usually feel the same.

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I keep hearing that, but I honestly never read any reviews of it... Yes! It drives me INSANE. LOL, that's hilarious! I've heard that there's this one really famous book where they're all "fug", LOL! Thanks! I kind of don't like pointing out all my problems, but hey, what can you do? (:

      Delete
  5. Sorry for this late comment, but when I going scrolling through your blog, I read this review and totally agreed with every word you said! There were so many faults that made this book confusing, yet I still really enjoyed it. Looking forward to what's to come and hopefully the editor will do a better job next time!

    Angie @ YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never! ;) Aww, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this opinion, LOL! I did really like this one, though. Even though all of those issues...ya gotta love dystopian! (: I hope so too!

      Delete