January 17, 2013

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1)
Title: Switched
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Trylle, #1
Source: Birthday gift
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: July 12, 2010
Goodreads||The Book Depository
When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She’s not the person she’s always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken…though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she’d ever admit. But it isn’t long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he’s come to take her home.

Now Wendy’s about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that’s both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she’s meant to become…
From the very first page of this book, I knew that it was going to be different than any other book that I've read. In one sense I was right. The idea behind this book is really fantastic, and really imaginative, but it wasn't executed near as well as I would have liked. This book had the potential to be great, but it fell just a bit short. I mean, TROLLS. How awesome and uniquely cool is that idea? You CAN'T lie, that's one rocking concept.

To be honest, Wendy and Finn grew on me. In the beginning I was all like, "Okay, why are you guys in love 80 pages in? This stinks, where's the development?" But towards the end, I realized that I liked them, even if they showed remarkably bad judgement by falling in love days after meeting each other. I don't understand why they did, but it doesn't change the fact that they were good characters.

Rhys though...Rhys was fabulous. He's my favorite character, because he just had the perfect attitude to put me at ease. So of course I loved him. Elora, on the other hand...I love to hate her. I guess that she's just not one of my favorite characters, if you know what I mean.

I think that my biggest overall issue with Switched was that the characters just weren't given enough time to truly REALLY fall in love. They meet. She thinks that he's creepy. Ten pages later he's in her room in the middle of the night. Here's me: "Why would you FREAKING let the CREEPER in? You said that he was a creep! And NOW HE'S IN YOUR ROOM AT THREE FREAKING A.M?" Eh. You get my point, right?

All in all, I really did like Switched, and I can't wait to read the next book, but I wish the love hadn't been of the insta-flavor of the week kind....

10 comments:

  1. I felt exactly the same way about the beginning, only I was listening to it and it kind of dragged... the instalove, the no plot thing.. so I just put it on hold and never went back to it. I'm glad to hear that it gets better, I might just continue one of these days. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's definitely nice to know that I wasn't the only one! Sometimes it feels like I am...LOL. I'm not a fan of audiobooks, though. It does get better! I'm actually looking forward to the next in the series, because I'm wondering where it will go from here. Thanks! (:

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the honest review Megan =) I've heard so many people rave about this author it's nice to hear the other side as well. These books have never interested me before but now I know for sure I would not like them. In love after 80 pages seriously?! And why in the world would she let the creeper in her room?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally welcome! I read nothing but rave reviews on this one too...I'm sad that I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it. Eh, well, every book can't appeal to everyone. ;) YES! I was pretty flummoxed about that one! LOL. I KNOW! I WOULD NEVER. What a CREEPER.

      Delete
  3. Too bad the instalove was a bit of a downer on this one. I am so over instalove. I'd honestly rather no love at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! I totally love romance, but instalove is NOT romantic.

      Delete
  4. I am a new GFC follower! I LOVED the Trylle Series. I remember when it was first released on ebooks. I love that it is based on trolls. It makes you look at troll in a new way. I am a sucker for books like that. I thought the love was rushed too but I looked at it as if you know you know! This story gets more interesting as it goes. I can't wait to see what you think of the other two books. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're awesome. ;) I definitely like the troll idea-- that's pretty freaking great! I loved the LotR refrence in the book, LOL. Eh, I just like to complain about insta-love, you know what I mean? LOL. ;) THANKS! :D

      Delete
  5. Ok, so I'm definitely intrigued by the premise. I bought the entire trilogy on a smoking deal ($12 for all three, lightly used) and now I really want to read them. Your review is well-done, Megan! :) It intrigues me but also lets me know that I might not love it like I want to. Thanks for the heads up! :)

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trolls thing is VERY cool, right? That is a FANTASTIC deal! I think my parents bought it at Walmart for like $30, so your deal was SMOKING. (: Thank you! LOL, I think that the book was intriguing. You're welcome! (:

      Delete