November 20, 2012

The Diviners (The Diviners #1) by Libba Bray

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-tute-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.


My Thoughts/Review:

I just now finished this book. What I'm thinking? Wow. That was amazing and weird.

Black cats cross my path frequently. I've walked under ladders and broke mirrors. I'm just not a superstitious person, and I'd like to think that I'll never change--but this book. Ooh, this book makes me feel plenty superstitious.

"Naughty John, Naughty John, does his work with his apron on..."

Gah. That little verse right there will definitely be haunting my dreams for a long time. The atmosphere is really the best part of this book--it's a smooth blend of 1920's history complete with speak-easies and a real live flapper girl, all jumbled together with ghost stories and paranormal elements. I don't know how the author pulled it off, but she did it.

She also managed to write one of the best villains ever. Oh, I don't even know if I can do him justice! He was so scary, and...ooh you'll just have to read it! He definitely made me rethink going outside in the dark--ever again. Yes, this villain was perfect. He had me alternately dreading and hoping for his next appearance. However gruesome and gory, I just...three dimensional does not even begin to describe him.

It does begin to describe many of the other characters, though. I loved how the villain was done, and I also loved how the other characters were done. Weirdly, the villain is my favorite, which is why he's four-dimensional. Evie, Jericho, Memphis and Mabel--they were my other favorites.

Personally, because Evie is the main character, I think I like her the most. She seems very flapper like, very free-spirited, and I just really loved her spunk. Jericho is my second favorite, because of his seriousness and his bookishness. And the one scene we got to see from his point of view--you sir, are HAWT.

The word building was very good, and the descriptions made me see the scenes perfectly. But I did have a problem or two with this book. Because as much as I loved the word building and descriptions, this book is really long. I still loved it, but if you like short books, this probably won't be for you. I didn't particularly care for the ten different points of view either, but I forgive that. It's just not a style that's for everybody.

All in all, The Diviners is a book that deals heavily with the occult, ghosts, and history--and I loved every bit of it. Recently, I've been a really happy camper with books! Yay!

 stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10
Favorite Quote:
They'd sold their children a pack of lies: God and country. Love your parents. All is fair. And then they'd sent those boys, her brother, off to fight a great monster of a war that maimed and killed and destroyed whatever was inside of them.

This book was provided by Andrea@The Bookish Babe, for a guest review! She's amazing, and I hope you all hop over and follow her!
The Bookish Babes

13 comments:

  1. Man I really want to read this! I've heard nothing but good things! So glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I actually hadn't heard anything about it before I read it--now it's everywhere! I hope you read it soon girl! :D

      Delete
  2. I've been debating whether or not I want to read this and I think your review convinced me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! You just totally made my day--I'm in OMG READ IT mode right now, so I kind of want all of my blogger buddies to read it ASAP, and we can all discuss, discuss! ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely review, Megan! Thank you so much for the guest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank's so much for letting my amateur self guest review for you. :)

      Delete
  4. Great review! i can't wait to read this one! I've been wanting a spooky read lately... yay! :)

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a totally fabulous book! It wasn't really what I was expecting, but I really liked it! Lol. It's definitely spooky! (:

      Delete
  5. "That little verse right there will definitely be haunting my dreams for a long time." --> THIS! It still haunts my dreams when I read a book that claims to be ‘creepy’.

    I absolutely LOVED this book! And I think the multiple POV was very well done! It could’ve been too much, and confusing and just pain MEH (I mean, some books that only have two povs are like that), but it wasn’t. (at least not for me :>)

    I have to add, in the prologue, Bray describes the wind. That magical description is STILL on my mind. Even, like, months later. Whenever I think of fantastic writing, that description pops in my head immediately. Do you know what I’m talking about? Which description? Or am I just mumbling nonsense? xD



    Anyway, love the review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan@The Book BabeOctober 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

    I LOVE the verse! I don't think that any other book will ever measure up to this one on the creepiness scale, honestly. IT WAS AMAZING.



    Multiple POV's can get kind of messy for me, but I really thought that this one was well done. (Totally not for me either!!) I don't really remember that verse, but... it was probably amazing, because this book was just plain made of awesome. <3 Thanks, girly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truer words had never been said. I am SO looking forward to book 2. Bring on the creepiness! :D


    It wasn't a verse, it was a couple pages or so, describing the winds moving down the street, and between people and *sigh* so perfect *^*


    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan@The Book BabeOctober 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

    I KNOW. BOOK TWO. <33 I wants it so bad! (my precciiiooousss)


    Oh, that totally makes sense. It sounds beautiful...*wants to go check it out in her copy of the book*

    ReplyDelete