November 13, 2012

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Audrey, Wait!
California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, “Audrey, Wait!” a break-up song that’s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can?t hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.

My Thoughts/Review:

This is another book that's been on my to-read list for a while. I didn't have high hopes for it after all the bummer books that've been on my TBR, but I already had it, and I was going to read it. So I did. You should know that I really liked this one--it was quite a bit better than I was expecting.

I'm caught somewhere between declaring it complete fluff, or meaningful literature that shall become a great teen classic. I think that I'll put it in the former category for now though, because who knows how I'll feel about it by the end of this review? I so rarely know what I truly think until I write about it. Quite a curse I've got.

Speaking of curses, there's quite a few cuss words dropped in this book. It didn't put me off any though, because I'm actually quite used to it, and it has no effect on me after a life-time of hearing some vulgar words. I am a little surprised at the sheer number used though, especially by Audrey. It wasn't something that I was expecting, so I'll warn you all about it.

Audrey was a very surprising character. I was really starting to wonder about her towards the end, when I wasn't sure what she was going to do, or how it was all going to go down. Was Audrey going to stay true to herself, or become the very thing that she hated? A person who whines senselessly, and only talks about themselves? I didn't see it, but I wasn't sure. And you'll need to find out for yourself.

I can honestly say that I wish that Audrey and Evan's relationship had a bit more back story, so that I could've understood it better, instead of just coming into the story on a breakup. It did have the desired effect, though--I was instantly intrigued, and I needed to know more.

I enjoyed the little snippets of Audrey's life that were thrown in to the story, and I definitely think that they upped my understanding, but I wish there had been bigger snippets shared. Like why Audrey and James love music so much--and a bit more development for James would've been nice too. But beggars can't be choosers!

All in all, Audrey, Wait! was an intriguing contemporary, with a strong female protagonist, and an unforgettable way of looking at fame.
stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10

2 comments:

  1. I love the plot of this book. It sounds so very interesting. It'd been on my TBR list for a long time too.
    Great Review! I think I will read it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds pretty cool, doesn't it? It's totally insane--some of the books I have on my TBR have got to be 25 years old. I really need to get on that. ;)

      Thanks! I can't wait to read your review! :D

      Delete