August 21, 2014

Who Wore it Better: Anna and the French Kiss

Who Wore it Better is an original meme I brought with me from Drugs Called Books. In it, instead of discussing fashion or cloths, we discuss book covers from different countries, and who has the best cover. The meme is co-hosted with the lovely Amanda from The Book Badger and will be featured on her blog every other week, so check her out as well!  
This Thursday, I'll be discussing different covers for Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, in celebration of Isla and the Happily Ever After finally releasing (I've been waiting for sooo long!!)
1. English - so this is the original and most well known cover for this book. It's also the reason it took me years to decide to read the book. I really don't like it. I don't like the colors, I don't like the composition, I don't like the models... It looks very childish (to me) and doesn't attract me at all. If it wasn't for winning a giveaway and this book being the prize, I probably would never have read the book, which is such a huge shame as I loved it. 

2. English 2 - Probably my favorite of the bunch. It's a lot more mature looking, with the gradient composition and the focal point being the title, but it also gives off the cutesy, adorable vibe of the story with the color choice, the little heart and the serene scene of Paris in the background. If this was the cover out to begin with, I never would've put off reading the book. 

3. French - I really like this cover. I like the colors, I like we don't really see Anna, but we do see the bag that shows she's not from around. I like that she's standing on the solid purple background and not on the French scenery, looking at it from afar, as a stranger to the city would. I think whoever designed this cover did a really good job!

4.German - If you asked me "yay" or "nay", then Nay, but kudos to the designers for coming up with something new, interesting and cutesy to say "Paris" and "Love" without showing the Eiffel Tower!

5. German 2 - This one pretty much tried to copy the idea of the original, and if not for the fact everything looks so photoshoped and her legs look cut off, it could be cute. But all those exist, so... nope. 

6. Indonesian- I really really like this one. It's simple and cute and there's not much else to say about it. 
After all this talking, I'll sum things up for you - the second English cover is my fave. Then come the French and Indonesian.

Nitzan

9 comments:

  1. I was so happy when they decided to change the cover of this book.The new cover is so beautiful.So simple and pretty.
    I like the font in the French cover in the the title.
    And the Indonesian cover is so cute.It suits the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I both like the new cover, the pinkish one, and the sixth cover, the Indonesian, because they look so cute. I love the shades and style of the new cover, it will appeal to adult readers too which is something the older cover didn't do, but the Indonesian has such beautiful pale colours and the font is also really nice and compliments the style. A good choice before we get cracking at it together again, I've missed this, and it's new things all around! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the English 2 version. The others just don't appeal to me, really. The Indonesian cover is cute, too, though. I NEED to read this book! :D Fun meme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The original English one will always be my favorite. I adore it, probably because it's the cover that I own. I think the model is really cute and just fits Anna's look. Plus the colors are cute. I like the second English one, but it just doesn't compare to the first (though I love the color gradient). I like the Indonesian one so much though. Like I want to go buy a copy even though I won't be able to read it! It's gorgeous! I like the second German one too, but it does look really photoshopped. And it's a little more childish looking than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too!!!
    It does! :) Glad we agree Mish! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Both are adorable <3
    I completely agree. The old cover labeled the book as strictly "YA". This cover will surely bring a new range of audience to the book.
    True :)
    Haha, thank you! Can't wait for next month to finally be back at doing this with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, yes you need to read this!
    And so glad you like the new one! I always like seeing people agree with me *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, it's funny. I see most of the "old" readers of the series (meaning, those who have only known the original cover) feel the first is a much better cover, while the "new readers" mostly like the new one better. Which makes sense - part of the reason people read books are the cover, so two thirds of the new readers probably got to the book BECAUSE of the new cover.
    Also, I feel like it's partly because people have grown old of models. Now, there is a flood of model-less covers with typography as the main focus of the cover and stuff like that (which personally I adore!). Maybe in a few years that will grow old as well, and then we'll miss covers like the original again!
    I love, love, love the gradient! Part of the reason I adore the new covers ;)
    I KNOW RIGHT!? I wish it was in English so I could enjoy the book in all the pretty cutesy glory!
    <3 you Jesse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well,they say that great minds think alike!:)

    ReplyDelete