August 7, 2014

Who Wore it Better - Alanna: The First Adventure

Who Wore it Better is an original meme I brought with me from Drugs Called Books. In it, instead of discussing fashion or cloths, we discuss book covers from different countries, and who has the best cover. The meme is co-hosted with the lovely Amanda from The Book Badger and will be featured on her blog every other week, so check her out as well!  
This Thursday, I'll be discussing different covers for Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. Alanna is a great example for a book that has had tons of different covers... for its English versions alone. I'll be showing you guys here my four top choices, along two of my favorite foreign covers, but there were plenty more to see.

1. English - so this is the cover I own, and I have a love-hate relationship with it. On the one hand, I LOVE how fierce she looks. I hated it at first sight, but when I look closer, I fell in love with her expression. But, I HATE all the dead space. Black background framing a drawn picture in a no-no for me. Seriously, was it THAT difficult to make the picture alone the cover?...

2. English 2 - so, this was my only other option when I decided to buy Alanna, and at first I planned on getting it. But then I looked closer and realize that as cool as it looks from afar it's... kind of misshapen. Something about the girl looks all wrong. Her face, her poster, her hands... something's not working, and I'm really particular on stuff like that. So, points down for that, points up for cool background lol. 

3. English 3 - So, I actually really like this cover, comic book-ish as it feels (to me). I love the background and how Alanna looks, and I love that it shows someone else but Alanna. I mean, yes - Alanna is the MC, but there are more than Alanna in the story. 

4. English 4 - I decided to show you guys this cover (even though I'd never get it for myself), because of the "adult" factor. This cover was obviously made to attract "grown-ups". Those that illustrated covers won't appeal to. It looks mature and serious, a single object that looks very realistic on a solid background. Not my favorite (maybe if it wasn't that shade of blue, I'd feel differently), but I like the thought behind it. 

5. Danish - I am in love with this cover, with all that I am. Just look at it! It has everything. It has Alanna, in her guy disguise, standing in front of a ominous, shadowy structure, ready for action. Mysterious, and captivating. Then we have Alanna, the girl she is, above, looking feminine and fragile. But this Alanna, she's almost part of the background. Because "girl" Alanna is always hiding, always pretending she's not a girl. It's got everything - the two sides of Alanna, the fight, the mystery.... I wish THIS was the English cover! 

6. French - so, I don't have much to say about this. It looks pretty cool, but it doesn't make me want to buy the book, either. It was one of the better foreign ones, though. 
After all this talking, I'll sum things up for you - Danish is my absolute favorite. The rest are kind of... well, tied. I don't love any of them, nor do I hate them...

Nitzan

3 comments:

  1. Jesse @ Pretty In FictionAugust 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM

    I actually really like the second English one. There's something very fantasy about it. Bit my favorite is definitely the Danish. It's gorgeous! The French one also has that fantasy it-quality to it, but I don't think I'd buy it. It actually reminds me of the covers of that Everneath series by Brodi Ashton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is a debt collector for the attorney he works for. It's a small, family-run firm that's the last stop for people in debt. They have the power to garnish wages and things like that. Their biggest client is I believe Capital One, who's asked the attorney's office not to allow any electronic devices into the office. So they know no one is committing espionage or something I guess, lol. Not even a paperwhite Kindle. Nothing. It has something to do with their insurance, too. It just started a couple years ago. It wasn't always like this. I don't totally get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The office he works for is really strict about this. Capital One is their largest client - my husband is a debt collector and collects from people Capital One sends his way. I guess other offices who work for Capital One have been sued by them because people breached confidentiality of the debtors. They don't want anything recorded, leaked, copied, etc. I think it's a bit much to not allow a Kindle Touch or paperwhite since those can't really copy anything. But oh well. I don't get it.


    My sister has a completely different relationship with our dad, so she wouldn't have been the slightest embarrassed, lol. But I can't even watch a sex scene on TV with him in the room. He came over one time, and my husband and I were watching the Friday the 13th remake. I kept giving my husband the eye like, "Turn it off! Turn it off!" It was a scene at the beginning that was the worst! Luckily, my husband took the hint that it makes me uncomfortable when the parental unit is around. ;)

    ReplyDelete