August 29, 2014

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Series: Vampire Academy #5 
Source: Bought
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: May 18th, 2010
Age Genre: Young Adult
Dimitri gave Rose the ultimate choice. But she chose wrong...
After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri's birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir's-and to her best friend, Lissa. It is nearly graduation, and the girls can't wait for their real lives beyond the Academy's iron gates to begin. But Rose's heart still aches for Dimitri, and she knows he's out there, somewhere.
She failed to kill him when she had the chance. And now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and now he is hunting her. And this time he won't rest until Rose joins him... forever.

So, as I'm starting my Vampire Academy experience on The Book Babe's Reads at book five, I'll sum up some things for you: I have been reading the Vampire Academy series for about a year now. I have owned all the books in the series for a similar amount of time. Fact is, I enjoy these books... but they lack that certain something that makes me need to read them.

Which is why, I brought this book with me on my trip to Europe, with the intention to just, once and for all, read it. That didn't work quite as well as I hoped. I had so much trouble immersing myself in the story for the first 200 pages that I had to read other books between every 70 pages or so. This is the main source of my rating - this book just didn't grab me, and so, though I enjoyed it, I can't give it more than 3.5 stars.

I think, finally, after five books, I've come to understand why I have so much trouble with this series - it's the writing. Something about it just... doesn't click with me. Doesn't flow smoothly as I read it.
If this book (and series) was written slightly differently, I think I might've loved it. I think I might've finished it in a week (like I did Percy Jackson) instead of a year (and I'm not finished yet). But it's not, so I struggle.

I will say this - half way through the book, things finally started happening in a way that made me want to read the book nonstop. Which is funny, cause from that point on it was all basically Mead setting things up for the final book.

Now, let's go into some specifics, since I realize this "review" is mostly very vague and general so far. I love Rose. I love Dmitri. I love Adrain. I love Lissa and Christian (he is probably my favorite character in the series). But they all kind of annoyed me this book. Especially the thing with Adrian and Rose, because he deserves better. At the very least, someone who will truly love him, and not just use him (albeit, probably unconscionably,) to forget someone else.

Oh, and Lissa and Christian need to get over themselves and go make some beautiful babies with snarky humor and kind hearts (okay, maybe not right away, but you get my drift).

Okay, this review is kind of lacking... as all my Vampire Academy reviews seem to be. I feel like a failure, but I just really wanted to share my revelation with you guys! It's not everyday that you finally figure out what has been bothering you for 5 books...
Nitzan

6 comments:

  1. Well,Richelle Mead is one of my favourite authors ever,but still I have to agree with you that her writing style isn't that good.Her books are filled with action,the stories are interesting and thrilling,the characters are amazing,but still the way she writes isn't that perfect.
    But her writing is better in Bloodlines series.Maybe that's because in that series feelings,emotions,relationships and beliefs are explored deeply,the books have more depth.I think she did a great job in it.
    I was so annoyed with Rose when I read this book.The way she treated Adrian was so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, glad you agree with me Mish!
    It's like, the writing lacks a certain fineness for it to flow right for me. And it took me 5 books to realize, too, because it's not something defined or obvious that bothers me about it.
    It's also probably better cause she's had a lot of practice with her writing in the five books. I think good authors work on their craft all the time - and aspire to be better which each book they write ;)
    I KNOW RIGHT?! I mean, she's outright USING him, and she can't even remember she HAS a boyfriend when Dmitri's around. That is just WRONG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! You know, I enjoyed this series, but I agree. I read this series strictly for the characters. I like the story and everything, but I found the writing to be really repetitive and the only reason I got through it in a week was because I skipped A LOT. I feel bad about that but the writing was just a little bleh. Not bad, just bleh. I think the writing gets better in the Bloodlines series, but I might just be biased since I'm head over heels in love with that series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly! And she was even worse in Last Sacrifice.Well, I understand her love for Dimitri and I rooted for them, but still there was no need for her to play with Adrian's feelings. It was really sad to see a heartbroken Adrian:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, in Last Sacrifice she did some awful things to Adrian, BUT,
    he pissed me off in Last Sacrifice too, though. Because, I'm sorry - but it was obvious to EVERYONE that she still had feelings for Dmitri - especially to Adrian - and she had decided to "move on" about one day before all the shit started happening so OF COURSE she hadn't moved on yet, and still he was all so angry and shocked and all that. Felt to me like he should've known better. So yes, you're heartbroken and you're allowed to be - but two people here refused to acknowledge the truth, not just one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The problem is that sometimes the characters are annoying too LOL jk.
    Wow, you skipped? Wish I could do that, but I am unable to skip. The only skipping I do is sometimes peeking farther into the story - but then I move right back to reading all that I missed :/
    Well, you're the second person that says the writing gets better - and I think it makes sense. I'm waiting with the Bloodline series for the last one to be like, just around the corner, before I pick it up.

    ReplyDelete