January 1, 2015

Who Wore it Better: City of Bones

Who Wore it Better is an original meme I brought with me from Drugs Called Books. In it, instead of discussing fashion or cloths, we discuss book covers from different countries, and who has the best cover. The meme is co-hosted with the lovely Amanda from The Book Badger and will be featured on her blog every other week, so check her out as well!  

It's been a REALLY long time since we last did a Who Wore It Better Post! First I had boot camp, then settled into my life as a soldier... Well, we're back, and that's what's important! :) We're starting this time's WWIB with one of the most well love series on earth right now - the Mortal Instruments! God only knows how we haven't considered it before now...
(I weeded out the extremely ugly ones...)
English One – I really love this cover, always have. I love the colors, the composition, the guy and the city. I love the intricate patterns on the torso, only half visible. I think it's smart they went with depicting Jace - a hot, male chest is more likely to attract the girls than a woman's - even though this book is a lot more Clary's story than his. He would've had a more fitting place on the second/third book, but I can't argue with the reasoning. I also adore the fact it says the series name/number on it. I wish every series did that.

English Two – I've never seen this cover before. I rather reckon it didn't sale well, and that's the reason. This cover could've had potential, if they would've stuck to the illustrated feel of the city. But they didn't. Instead they pasted a face on it. That could've been alright... if they hadn't felt the need to draw on it with a pen. That seriously how it looks. No work was put into making the mark look real, or at the very least a part of the face. The result: yuck.

English Three - I like this one. I like the color, I like the double-city double-reality vibe. Or maybe more like underworld vibe? Like a city underneath our city... it works, especially with the plot taken into consideration. And boy, am I happy not to see any actor's face on it...

Chinese - This one looks like a movie poster. And it makes me think of mysteries and suspense novels, less of City of Bones. But it does look cool, I'll give it that.

German I like this one. I like the color, the simplicity. I like that it has no model on it, no face. Just this ominous mark above it all.

Polish –  I don't really like this one. I don't like the dark background, I don't like the way they drew Jace (and really, Clary would've been a much more fitting character for the cover in this case), I don't like the font. I do think the artist is talented, but I wish he'd never given Jace a face. 

All around... my favorite is the original one. 
Nitzan

4 comments:

  1. I have to say, I like the first cover too, but I also like the third, it's one of the few movie covers I really don't mind, and that's saying something. I do think the original covers work well though, it's like there's a style of it now and it's very much linked to the series, so other covers are more difficult to like! I can't wait to introduce Stacie to the feature next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - the first and the third are the best, and the third is one of the only movie posters I don't mind too!!
    Can't wait for it either! It's gonna be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its strange, because the one you and a lot of people didn't really know about or like (#2) happens to be my favourite. Maybe its because that was the cover that was available the first time I saw it, plus its the cover of my copies of book 1 and 2, I think you are right though, I don't think the sold a lot people they ditched it when it came to book 3.


    If I had to pick out of the covers you've chose it would be #1 & #3, (aside from my favourite of course) they are really pretty and when #1 matches the rest of the series why wouldn't you like it? :P


    Can't wait for next week and for my first ever WWIB to be live, thank you again for accepting me into the feature, I'm so excited to be a part of it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you from Stacie that this was the cover available to you? And there's nothing wrong with liking this cover - the fact I don't means literally nothing ^_^
    High five, we agree on the rest! lol
    No need to thank me Stacie! Happy to have you with us ;)

    ReplyDelete