January 22, 2015

Thursday Oldie: Destiny Binds by Tammy Blackwell



Destiny Binds by Tammy Blackwell
Series: The Timber Wolves Trilgoy #1
Source: bought kindle boxset
Publisher: Indie
Age Genre: Young Adult
Originally published: Feb 4, 2013
Challenges: Re-Read
Scout Donovan is a girl who believes in rules, logic, and her lifelong love of Charlie Hagan. Alex Cole believes in destiny, magic, and Scout. When Alex introduces Scout to the world of Shifters, men who change into wolves or coyotes during the full moon and Seers, women who can see your most private thoughts and emotions with a mere touch, the knowledge changes everything and everyone Scout thought she knew.


.
For this week's Oldie, I'm bringing back one of my favorite shifter series ever, after recently re-reading it. It's also one of the most underrated books and series out there. I mean, seriously. You don't need to read this review - go read the book instead. That's time better spent, I'll tell you that. 

'Course, if you want to read my review and read the book I'm all for that.

Destiny Binds starts the epic journey of Harper "Scout" Donovan, one of the most awesome and kickass main characters in the history of YA. She is funny and sarcastic, smart and logical, honest and strong, and loving. She is also odd looking, in an eye catching way. God only knows why this incredible person doesn't have too many friends at the beginning of the series, but I will be her friend in a heartbeat. I already consider myself one.

As many of these stories go (and this is just about the only typical thing about this whole series), Scout's story start with the arrival of Alex and his brother Liam Cole into town. Alex is basically every girl's dream guy: sweet, charismatic, caring, loving, hot, two killer dimples and a kind of tortured past. Can you blame Scout for falling for him? I can't, as I fell for him and the way he behaved and acted around Scout alongside her.

The romance between these two doesn't happen at once, though. There's attraction, but there's also Alex's wacky brother to consider - and Scout's step brother, the infinitely awesome Jase Donovan is really against the Coles. And considering Scout and Jase have been together since babyhood, and their relationship is built equally on banter and devotion (there's a reason people call them Twins), Scout cares and listens to what he says.

But eventually, Alex and Scout's relationship develop into something... more.

The romance in this book, and series as a whole, is really unique, and I mean that in the best way possible. You won't notice it at first, though I'll guarantee the lack of insta love, the time it take for it to develop and the fact Scout actually picks a guy when put in a sort of love-triangle instead of twiddling her thumbs for three books is astounding and unique on itself.

But the truly special thing about it--what makes it stand out to other series--happens at the end of the book, carries on to the second and really shows itself on the third. It's a roller coaster, but one you'll come down from smiling.

Alongside Alex, Scout and Jase there are a bunch of great characters, such as Talley, Scout's best friend, the kind of person who sees the best in everyone and understands her friends almost as well as she understands herself, and Charlie, Jase's best friend & cousin with whom Scout has been in love with for years. He's the peacemaker in the group, the logical one. And the four of them are pretty much inseparable outside of school. Think of The Fantastic Four,

As for the ending... well, I'm not going to lie. I cried. Even the second time I read it. All I can say in relations to this is that Ashley is a stupid bitch, and I don't say the B word lightly.
Blackwell does something really dangerous here, and pretty much unheard of in YA, but it works. It works for this book, and I promise you it works for the next.

So, do me a favor. If the review somehow failed to convey my recommendation for this book, I'll put it now in clear writing: READ THIS BOOK. Read it if you love shifter books, read it if you don't. Read it if fantasy is your thing, and--yes--read it even if it's not. Read it.  
Nitzan

2 comments:

  1. THIS IS THE BEST Stephanie! You have to read it (and then tell me all about it ;P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would I have to buy more than one book or is the story all in one book? I would hate to get it and then find out I can't finish it because I need to buy more books.

    ReplyDelete