September 18, 2014

Who Wore it Better: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Who Wore it Better is an original meme I brought with me from Drugs Called Books. In it, instead of discussing fashion or cloths, we discuss book covers from different countries, and who has the best cover. The meme is co-hosted with the lovely Amanda from The Book Badger and will be featured on her blog every other week, so check her out as well!  

So after last week Amanda reviewed the different covers in Magic Study, we'll be starting a new series this week.
Drum rolls please...
It's... Shiver by Maggie Steifvater!
 I haven't read Shiver. I started my Steifvater career with The Raven Boys, which I adore to pieces, and have been pretty much afraid to try Shiver because I've heard some bad stuff about the finale book, and Maggie herself stated she didn't know the full story when she started writing - she just made it up as she went. But I do want to read everything Maggie has ever written. So, I do plan to read this - and maybe this is just the nudge that I need! 
Okay, guys, this is a first for me. I like all the covers here, so instead of separating into covers, I'm going to talk about them together like.
(Side note: I haven't read the books, so I don't know how which of these covers is actually more fitting to the story. My analysis is from the pov of someone who's thinking of reading the books)

I love the simplicity of the first English cover, and the soothing colors. I love the branches and the fact you can actually find a wolf in the background. It seems very fitting, both for the title of the book (Shiver, snow, you know) and the series itself. And indeed, this cover is so well fitting that most foreign covers follow it's example, which is why I didn't put them up. Too similar to the original to count.
Then we have the second English one, and the newest. It's a lot less subtle than the original - more bod and mysterious, more menacing. While I like the original better, I think this is a really good cover on it's own. One sure to intrigue and attract.
Then comes the German. It's my least favorite from the bunch - but I still really like it. I love the dreamlike quality the out-of-focused background combined with the color gives the story. I love the paper-figures in the middle - the girl and the wolf (which goes well with the trailer I saw for the book). I honestly think it's really pretty.
Then comes the Italian. Again, not as good as the original, but I still adore the simplicity. The black-gray background gives off the vibe of something dark and dangerous, the simple heart says "this is a love story..." and the claw marks tell us "...with an edge", also hinting at the supernatural beings we'll be dealing with.
Now we're reaching the French. I really kind of adore this one. It's just so pretty and simple and dark. It doesn't sugarcoat anything, if that makes sense. It makes me feel like I'm going to read a n intense, dangerous story. This cover is sure to attract me, personally, and will definitely be enough for me to pick the book from the shelf in a bookstore.
And finally, we have the Russian. If you think it's surprising I like this cover so much as I just ranted endlessly about models in the Poison Study WWIB, you'd be wrong. There is a vast different in my head between photographed models, and art. I love drawn covers. I want to frame and hang them on my walls. This cover is painted, and the art is just stunning. No idea how the girl actually compares to grace, and I couldn't care less, because it's just so damned beautiful.

There were, I'll admit, more "unique" covers than this - but I chose not to taint these beautiful covers by putting them in the company of the ugly ones. Call me shallow (because I totally am). 

Nitzan

4 comments:

  1. That is a first! :O I have to confess, I don't like them all - I dislike the Russian and the second English cover, although I do believe that the first is more US than UK, ours are more black and white in comparison, but hey ho. Favourite wise, I am IN LOVE with the German cover, same with the rest of the series, I just think the colours, the look, it's innocent but looks deep, it is beautiful to look at and oh man, I just *flails* If I could read German I would own those covers for sure! Great covers, not putting ugly there helps. I avoided and ugly one or two too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me the first English cover blows the other ones out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Russian one, really? haha, I just love the art so much!
    Oh, there is a black version of the first one - but it's basically identical so I chose the one I like better xD
    And I meant English as in language - not Britain. I stopped distinguishing between UK and US in WWIB because it got so tiresome trying to figure which was which, considering I live in neither.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the first English cover, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete