September 4, 2014

Who Wore it Better - Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Who Wore it Better is an original meme I brought with me from Drugs Called Books. In it, instead of discussing fashion or cloths, we discuss book covers from different countries, and who has the best cover. The meme is co-hosted with the lovely Amanda from The Book Badger and will be featured on her blog every other week, so check her out as well!  
This Thursday, I'll be discussing different covers for Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder, one of my absolute favorite series ever. This book series is so good I can't even, and Maria (can I call you Maria?) announced she'll be continuing it! Que in excited squealing!
1. English - So... I don't actually have much to say about this one. I dunno, I suppose it's pretty (and I do like the fact she's going up a castle's staircase, as that's accurate for the book's setting), but there is nothing about it that catches my eye or make me interested in reading this book. And, shallow as I am, since this was the cover I saw everywhere, I put off reading this amazing series for so long just because of it. GuH how I hate myself now because of it. 

2. English 2 - I don't actually know how I feel about it. Much like the first, I don't exactly hate it - but then there is nothing about it that I particularly like, or that catches my attention. (Plus, the model kind of creeps me out)

3. English 3  I'm noticing a trend here because once again, I haven't much to say. I like the color. Don't really like how the background is - it doesn't fit as smoothly as it could. I guess I like the book and the jars?... I don't know. This STILL doesn't make me want to read the book, same as covers one and two. Which is weird - three covers in, and none are really any "good" to me. I'm a hard sale, apparently. 

4. Engish 4 - Aha! At last, one I like! This was the cover I finally got for myself when I decided to read this book. And I really like it, so that's good! I love simple covers. Covers with just one thing that captures your eye. I love the solid black background against the colorful rise of smoke (makes you think of poison, definitely!). And I love that there is small, almost unreadable writing embedded in it, that makes you want to take a closer look and decipher all their secrets. And, honestly - I love that there's no model. Like, I love that a lot. 

5. English 5 - The last English cover (that I'm going to show). Geez, someone really couldn't make up their minds!This one is probably the worst of the lot. Whereas all the others hid some of the model's features, giving the reader some leeway, this one just forces you to see this girl as Yelena. This is not my Yelena! And what's up with the still life painting in the back?... like, that's supposed to give out the tension, the intercitiy, the mystery, the danger of the book? It's freaking called POISON Study. Poison! Poisons are exciting! For heaven's sake, they're not dull and faded! 

6. French- This is actually okay! It's simple (which we established I like!) and shows an important object in the story (the butterfly) plus the smoke of the poison which I love so much in the forth cover. The only problem is that I don't like the background color - it blends too much with the rest of the cover - doesn't make it pop, and therefore makes this a pretty forgettable cover. Doesn't make you want to pull it off a shelf, you know?

7. Italian - The Italian cover copies from the forth English one, though it used it's own image for the wafting smoke (which I actually like), but the most notable thing about it - the changed name! For some reason, Poison Study is called Dark Moon in Italian. Why!?

I have originally planned on showing you guys two more covers - the Turkish one, and the Swedish one. But as I was making this, I realized both of these were so ugly I really didn't want to. They're not in the running for this Who Wore it Better post. Like, not at all
After all this talking, I'll sum things up for you - the forth English one for the win, and I'm not really a big fan of any of the rest ;)

Nitzan

9 comments:

  1. I like English 2 the best! It's so interesting to see all the different options that publishers try to sell a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't like the covers with models on it.The first English book is a bit better,though.
    I love the 4th English cover.It looks so beautiful,and the colours-they're perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know right? It's like, you can ALMOST tell what audience they were aiming for with each cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like the 2nd English cover. The model doesn't quite creep me out, lol. I also really like the 4th English cover, which is basically also the same as the Italian one I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And oh God I agree with you about the fifth English cover. They weren't even TRYING with that one, were they?!? lmao!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, well, that's okay. It's great that she doesn't creep you out! I think for me it's where her head gets cut that gives out the creeps lol
    The Italian definitely chose to go for the English 4th cover (or is it the other way around?)
    And the fifth English cover sucks. All I have to say about that one is WTF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree, it's the UK cover with the pretty design on it that wins out for me, it's just so nice. Then I'd say the french, but the others don't impress me. There's another cover that's not here that I own, it looks like a tatty old book, it's horrible, but it was cheap, and that's what I have, it puts me off reading, but I'll bump it up now :P Sorry it took me so long to comment, I just kept forgetting *bad friend and fellow meme blogger*..

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I'm sorry for the late reply! Haven't seen it until now!
    Well, I saw that cover but I couldn't find a photo of ONE copy with that cover so I decided to keep it out of here. Also, I couldn't figure out if the picture was of the book with the cover, or the weird open book WAS the cover lol
    YOU HAVE TO READ IT AMANDA! PLEASEEEEEEEEEE

    ReplyDelete