December 29, 2012

Heartbreak River by Tricia Mills

Heartbreak River
Title: Heartbreak River
Author: Tricia Mills
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: April 16, 2009
Hailey Abbott's Summer Boys takes a weepy turn in this story of one girl's attempt to tell her childhood friend how she really feels about him.

Alex thought she'd be spending the summer focused on her family's rafting business, burying the memories of her father's death last year, and leaving behind all the messes she made in its wake.

But when Sean returns to town, she is forced to reckon with her mixed-up crushy feelings for him - more powerful than ever before. It takes another tragedy to make Alex realize Sean has loved her, and forgiven her, all along.
Heartbreak River isn't as heartbreaking as the title makes it sound-- it was actually a lot more CUTE than HEART-BREAKING. Note the differences in the descriptive terms I have used-- I just want y'all to know that I enjoyed this one, and I'll probably read it again, but I honestly don't feel heartbroken by it. I just think that it was adorable.

That's all. It was as cute a romance as they come, with enough backstory to make it believable, and an identifiable main character, but I feel that it could have been better. Not much, but maybe a little. A little less melodramatic's would have been nice. A bit more character development on the secondaries, and a little more romance before the end.

That's all I ask-- for a little more romance. You know me, I love a good love story! (Was ever a more cliche line spoken?)

To be honest with you, I was absolutely rooting for a secondary character throughout most of the book. I mean, how could I not fall for the quiet southern guy? I loved Daniel! He was really awesome, and I wish that he had played a bigger part in the story. Had more speaking parts, whatever. I liked him. But I also liked Tommy, idiot that he was. And Sean. I mean, there was no shortage of guys to like in this book.

BUT there was a shortage of girls. Four girls throughout THE ENTIRE BOOK. I feel like taking offense today, so I will. Why were there only four girl characters? That's all I really wanna know.
"Sometimes people go through such terrible things that they lose the will to live, and no one can force that desire back into them." ~ Pg. 236

4 comments:

  1. I love cute romances! Will definitely check this one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the synopsis makes the book sound like it's sad and heart-breaking.
    I'm glad it's not, though. I have read so many sad and depressing books this year. I need something happy and cute and this sounds kinda perfect.
    I will look out for Daniel when I read it. Great Review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does-- then it doesn't really hit you as much as you think it would when you're reading it. It's all kind of just backstory. I LOVE SAD AND DEPRESSING BOOKS. They just-- communication is key, LOL. But I also love a good contemporary, so there is that. It was pretty cute, and let me know what you think of Daniel! Thanks! (:

      Delete