October 9, 2014

Thursday Oldie: Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram

Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram
Series: Jamie Baker #1
Source: own paperback & Kindle version
Publisher: Bluefields
Publication Date: May 4th 2013
Age Genre: Young Adult
Originally published: Oct 4, 2012
"Most superhero stories start with a meteor shower or a nasty insect bite, but mine actually starts with a kiss..."

An accident that should end in tragedy instead gives seventeen-year-old Jamie Baker a slew of uncontrollable superhuman abilities.
To keep her secret safe Jamie socially exiles herself, earning the title of Rocklin High's resident ice queen. But during a supercharged encounter with star quarterback Ryan Miller she literally kisses anonymity goodbye. Now the annoyingly irresistible Ryan will stop at nothing to melt the heart of the ice queen and find out what makes her so special.
Unfortunately, Ryan is not the only person on to her secret. Will Jamie learn to contain her unstable powers before being discovered by the media or turned into a government lab rat?
More importantly, can she throw Ryan Miller off her trail before falling in love with him?

As I told you guys last time, to celebrate Kelly's release of Cinder & Ella, I'm dedicating a few Oldies to this lovely lady and her lovely creations. Following up The Avery Shaw Experiment, is one of the funniest, funnest, best feel-good books I own - Being Jamie Baker. 

I've read this book about three times so far. I have forced my cousins to read it (which in turn, they are now forcing their dad to do the same), and both of them completely fell in love with Ryan the story and the characters. 

It's a book you just kind of have to love. I dare you to read it and not end up grinning so widely your jaw hurts. 

This is seriously one of these books more people need to know about - because it is fabulous! So, even before this review really starts, I'll spoil the ending of it for you - get this book. It's good for your soul. 

This is one of those books that make you feel all warm and fuzzy with yourself at the end. One of these books that make you smile and laugh out loud, and you can't even care less when you get the "are you crazy?" looks from your friends when you do it, because it's just so good.

One of these books that make you desperately wish these characters were real.

And really, what more can you even ask from a book?

Jamie, the main character, is lovable and snarky and uses sarcasm like a well loved and honed sword, which I absolutely love. She is also very, very human in her actions and thoughts, which mean that sometimes... well, sometimes, I didn't agree with them. But for me, that's perfectly alright. Because, hey, I don't always agree with what my friends do. And I consider Jamie a friend, as wacky as that sounds. 

Ryan Miller, Jamie's other half, is so high my Book Boyfriend list he might actually be the king of it. I swear, I fangirl over this guy like there's no tomorrow. I may be a whole lot little bit in love with him. He is just the perfect blend of adorableness and sweetness, with cockiness and a bit of condescension. He's not afraid to tell Jamie what she feels, and he basically wills it to be true with sheer sureness of it. He's not one to give up. Like, ever. You might as well concede defeat when he starts. 

And the romance between them... sigh. It's just so good. Like a romance I would want for myself - they bring the best out in each other, you know? And the chemistry between them... Let's just say it's electrifying. 

The only less than stellar part about this book is the reason Jamie got her superpowers... it's not exactly satisfying. However, as I actually don't consider that aspect of the book the main crux of it, I really didn't mind it. It didn't stop me from feeling so silly good after finishing it. 

I finished the book in one sitting - all three times I've read it. Its grip on you is not any less strong the second, third, and dare I say even forth or fifth time. You still smile and laugh and shake your head at Jamie and swoon over Ryan in all the right places. It's the kind of book I'll never get tired of.

If you're looking for a great book to cheer you up and make you feel all is right with the world - pick this one up. It's perfect for you. 
Nitzan

No comments:

Post a Comment