October 10, 2014

Flame Moon by K.J Jackson

Flame Moon by K.J Jackson
Series: Flame Moon #1
Source: Free Kindle Copy
Publisher: AWD Publishing
Publication Date: August 3rd, 2012
Age Group: Adult
Skye Walters thought waking up on the side of a river with no memory was her biggest problem. She had no idea that the man who had saved her from drowning, the man she now depended on, Aiden, was more than mere mortal. A warrior of ancient.
No memory, nowhere to go, Skye stays in the mountain town, only to discover she herself, has unexplained powers. Her life, her destiny, are soon out of her control, as are her feelings for Aiden. The deeper Skye gets sucked into Aiden’s hidden world, the more the past, and who she really is, threatens her future, her love, her sanity.
ALL HAIL THE TBR JAR for making me find this hidden gem! I got Flame Moon as a free kindle book at some point of my life. Yeah, not even sure when - could've been last week, could've been last year. I download so many free Kindle books it's hard to follow - which is why I probably would've never read it if I hadn't drawn in out of the TBR jar. Thank god for little miracles, because Flame Moon was surprisingly... great.

Skye wakes up one morning, soaked in a river, with an intimidating man staring at her. She has no idea how she got there or why - she hates water! - but that becomes of little concern when she realizes she's no idea who she is, period.

Skye is a great main character. She is strong and brave, handling all the shit--forgive the language--that gets thrown at her with amazing strength and acceptance. Even though, save for the three friends she makes, she doesn't get much of acceptance herself.

Then there's Aiden. Brooding, silent, tough guy Aiden, who makes Skye his responsibility - as he's the one who took her out to the water and pulled her out when she nearly drowned--sans her memory. Aiden was a tough nut to crack. He could be a bit of an ass (sometimes an overbearing one), but he was actually extremely kind, extremely warm and extremely loyal. All traits I consider positive.

Charlotte and Triaten, the two main supporting characters, were both excellent. They added to the story, and were quite enthralling themselves. Kind of made me wish to read their story too (which seems like I likely would be doing in book 2!)

The romance was really great in my opinion, too. It didn't take that much time to happen, but it felt like they were together all that time before that so it made sense. Besides, physical want and love are not the same thing, and I got the feeling they fell more and more for each other from the time they got together to the finale I-love-yous which I adored.

The writing was great and flowing, and the story-line intriguing and engrossing. I must admit to have been quite surprised with what exactly everyone in this book are.

The only minor issue I had with this book had to do with the Big Betrayal. I felt like there was no build up toward that, no hint of what might be coming prior to the seconds before it did. The complelte change in personality was also jarring. It just seemed like there should've been hints - but there weren't any.

Aside for that, I absolutely loved the book, and can't wait to read the next one!
   Nitzan

3 comments:

  1. I need to start doing this TBR jar thing! I too have many books on my TBR that I have totally forgot about!

    Anyway great review! This sounds like a really good book and I love the title! I'll definitely be adding this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel your love for this book:)
    The heroine sounds great.I love sarcastic and realistic heroines.I feel an immediate connection towards them.My favourite is probably Caymen from The Distance Between Us.
    I am really tempted to read this book after seeing your review.I hope I'll get a copy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I think the TBR jar is great, though I only use it when I don't know what to read next so it doesn't get to its full potential.
    Thank you! I hope you'll enjoy it when you read it too!

    ReplyDelete