July 26, 2013

Vesper by Jeff Sampson

Vesper (Deviants, #1)
Vesper by Jeff Sampson
Series: Deviants, #1
Source: Won
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: January 25, 2011
Emily Webb is a geek. And she's happy that way. Content hiding under hoodies and curling up to watch old horror flicks, she's never been the kind of girl who sneaks out for midnight parties. And she's definitely not the kind of girl who starts fights or flirts with other girls' boyfriends.Until one night Emily finds herself doing exactly that... the same night one of her classmates - also named Emily - is found mysteriously murdered.

The thing is, Emily doesn't know why she's doing any of this. By day, she's the same old boring Emily, but by night, she turns into a thrill seeker. With every nightfall, Emily gets wilder until it's no longer just her personality that changes. Her body can do things it never could before: Emily is now strong, fast, and utterly fearless. And soon Emily realizes that she's not just coming out of her shell... there's something much bigger going on. Is she bewitched by the soul of the other, murdered Emily? Or is Emily Webb becoming something else entirely - something not human?

As Emily hunts for answers, she finds out that she's not the only one this is happening to - some of her classmates are changing as well. Who is turning these teens into monsters - and how many people will they kill to get what they want?
I was halfway out my bedroom window when my cell rang.

When I started this one, I had no idea what to expect. I kept hearing that it was good from various people, so I thought that I would check it out. But I find that although I liked this one, I wasn't very wow'd by it. It fell a tad bit flat, in retrospect.

Emily, our main character is a barrage of different personalities and emotions at any given time. To be completely honest, I have no idea why her personality kept changing. It didn't seem important, and it just added a strange element-- I mean I understand *the spoilerific thing*, but I don't understand the personality changes. It makes no sense! Sometimes she was really shy and mousy, then she would change into like superchick or something. I don't know.

I wish that it didn't all happen so fast, you know? Why couldn't she have been some kind of happy-medium? Anywho, I'm moving on from Emily's character now.

I found some things predictable within the plot, but I could not predict what was up with Emily-- and when I found out it still didn't really make sense! I liked the added mystery element (what is she??), but I just wasn't a huge fan of the outcome.

One thing that I predicted turned out well (so adorable!), but other things just bored me. And the ending was just too open! It actually seemed really incomplete to me.

All in all, Vesper was an interesting read, but I could have liked it a lot more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment