July 8, 2013

Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt

Sean Griswold's Head
Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: September 4, 2012
According to her guidance counselor, fifteen-year-old Payton Gritas needs a focus object-an item to concentrate her emotions on. It's supposed to be something inanimate, but Payton decides to use the thing she stares at during class: Sean Griswold's head. They've been linked since third grade (Griswold-Gritas-it's an alphabetical order thing), but she's never really known him.

The focus object is intended to help Payton deal with her father's newly diagnosed multiple sclerosis. And it's working. With the help of her boy-crazy best friend Jac, Payton starts stalking-er, focusing on-Sean Griswold . . . all of him! He's cute, he shares her Seinfeld obsession (nobody else gets it!) and he may have a secret or two of his own.

In this sweet story of first love, Lindsey Leavitt seamlessly balances heartfelt family moments, spot-on sarcastic humor, and a budding young romance.
Nothing creates a buzz like an Executive Deluxe day planner.

I knew exactly what to expect when I started this: I was expecting cute, romantic fluff that's basically there as a filler. What I got was so much more. There was romance, and yes it was adorable. But there was also self-discovery and pain, as well as just general life.

I liked Payton, she was a good main character. I feel like I can relate to her; even if I don't know what it's like to have a sick parent. She handled it okay, though, I think. She was really funny and sarcastic, and I liked that she had actual feelings, as opposed to some flat character from other books that I could mention.

I liked that she found a focus object through such a ridiculous thing-- it was great. Now I will take a moment to say something about her focus object, Sean Griswold's head. SEAN. He was such a sweetheart-- just one of those boys that you want to hug the life out of, you know? (Well, I want him to live but you get the picture, right?) He was the perfect guy to kind of balance Payton out.

Their romance was adorable. So unsure and cute and I never wanted the adorbs to end! My only real issue with this book was that it follows the formula for a romantic comedy down to the T. You know what I mean. But I did like that every character had a purpose, and a unique personality.

All in all, Sean Griswold's Head is the perfect beach read-- except it doesn't involve any beach. Otherwise, it meets all the other requirements-- sweet and cute, with a dash of romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment