June 17, 2013

Girl Stays in the Picture by Melissa De La Cruz

Girl Stays in the Picture (Girl, #1)
Girl Stays in the Picture by Melissa De La Cruz
Series: Girl, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: June 2, 2009
Devon (one name only) is the most famous singer/actress in the country, and she is on location filming her newest blockbuster in the South of France. While there, she forms a bond with the director’s daughter—the hottest thing in Hollywood since she has recently lost two hundred pounds—who is learning to enjoy being young, rich, and famous. Devon also befriends Casey, a small-town girl who is an assistant to Devon’s biggest rival. Together, the three of them hit the best clubs, the beach, the Cannes film festival, and anyplace else where there is fun to be had.
As far as Devon was concerned, there was only one way to arrive in Saint-Tropez: on board a magnificent seventy-five-foot yacht.

Girl Stays in the Picture was a fun and fluffy read. Now that's not really true-- it was fun and fluffy, but it was also a tad bit serious at times. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would-- I was worried that this would be a meh read.

I was wrong. It may have been light and fluffy, but on a rainy day this was exactly what I needed to cheer me up. My only real issue with this book is that it's part of a series, and ends on a cliffhanger. Normally, this wouldn't be such a big deal, except this book was released in 2009 and freaking goodreads doesn't show a sequel in the works. o.O

I'm actually having problems writing this review-- I don't really know what to say!

I liked Casey, Livia and Devon. I can't really pick a favorite, but I definitely relate to Casey more, because I'm a small town southern girl too. The difference between me and her is that I can't stand it when people talk down to me. Everyone puts their britches on one leg at a time, and you? Well, you're not better than me, just like I'm no better than you.

As a result, I hate it when anyone talks down to anything. And poor Casey just got the brunt of all of that, and I just...wanted to beat her boss to death. I'm not normally a violent person. But I wanted to. I have to move on, because I feel a rant bubbling up inside.

I loved the inside look at fame. It doesn't seem to be near as glam as everyone makes it out to be, and it was interesting to see what Devon, Casey and Livia all thought about it, and how they handled it. I also loved the sweet romances that were intermingled into the book. They were just too cute.

All in all, I enjoyed Girl Stays in the Picture and I'd love to see a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment