June 20, 2013

Crush. Candy. Corpse by Sylvia McNicoll

Crush. Candy. Corpse.
Crush. Candy. Corpse. by Sylvia McNicoll
Series: N/A
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: James Lorimer & Company
Publication Date: February 17, 2013
Paradise Manor is depressing - the smells are bad and the residents are old. Sunny would much rather be doing her volunteer hours at Salon Teo, but her teacher won't let her. Who says volunteering at a hair salon doesn't benefit the community?

But working with the Alzheimer's patients has a surprising effect on Sunny. Along with Cole, the grandson of one of the residents, she begins to see that the residents don't have much more choice about their lives than she does: what they eat, how they are treated by staff, even what they watch on television. So Sunny does what she can to make the residents happy - even if she has to sometimes break the rules to do it.

But when tragedy strikes at Paradise, Sunny's left to make the decision about whether or not to honor a promise that Cole made to his grandmother about her life and her death.
"Sonja Anna Ehret, you stand accused of manslaughter. How do you plead?"

From the cover, I thought that this was going to be some kind of paranormal. Even the title, Crush. Candy. Corpse. hints that there's going to be some made up creatures. I'm not sure what my final classification will be, but without a doubt, there was no paranormal activity in this one.

It was actually kind of a mystery-- did Sunny or didn't she kill Helen? It wasn't what I was expecting at all.

I actually liked Sunny-- I feel like she made a lot of bad decisions, and that she definitely could have done better for herself than Donny, but she's a teenager. We're prone to screwing up. I loved her interactions with the old folks-- she was very patient with them, and she did her absolute best to please them all.

I liked Cole too, but I felt like he could have had some more development. For half of the book I was trying to figure out where he went and all, so I was really surprised by the ending, to say the least. I wish that we had gotten to see more of him, and more development on his part.

My favorite part of this story was definitely the flashbacks, though. I love it when books have a present/past kind of thing going on. It gives me better insight into the characters, then and now.

All in all, I enjoyed Crush. Candy. Corpse., but I feel like the characters could have had more development. It's a quick read that's definitely worth a look, though.
One second of enjoyment didn't seem enough for a lifetime. Same as those last few minutes of Helen Demers shouldn't have destroyed my life either. ~Pg. 42, E-ARC

No comments:

Post a Comment