June 10, 2013

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)
Embrace by Jessica Shirvington
Series: The Violet Eden Chapters, #1
Source: Traded for
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Publication Date: March 6, 2012
It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…”

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before.

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her.

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden…
Birthdays aren't my thing.

I'm not totally sure what I thought about this one. I liked it alright, but I feel like I didn't really understand everything that was going on. I understand angels. I understand Grigori, and I understand people. But do I understand their actions? No.

I think that's actually my only issue with this story-- I don't really understand it. For all the tiny details, I think I maybe missed a lot? Unfortunately, that basically sums up my feelings.

I liked Violet as a character, because she was strong, but at times she could be a little whiny. I can't fault her for being a loyal friend, though. She really looks out for the people that she loves, and I admire her for that.

I liked Pheonix and Lincoln at first, but as the story continued they both start to grate on me a bit. Pheonix because he just couldn't keep it to himself (uh-huh, guess) and Lincoln just because he made some decisions that just made me dislike him. I'm not actually sure why! He just rubbed me wrong.

All in all, this was an enjoyable read, but I'm not exactly sure what happened between the start and the end. I'd like to continue the series, though.
Excellent news. Not only was I apparently some weird angel-human combo, but I already had myself a badass immortal enemy. ~Pg. 67, ARC

No comments:

Post a Comment