March 11, 2013

Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson

Confessions of a Murder Suspect
Title: Confessions of a Murder Suspect
Author: James Patterson
Series: Teen Detective, #1
Source: Christmas Gift
Publisher: Little, Brown
Publication Date: September 24, 2012
Goodreads||The Book Depository
James Patterson returns to the genre that made him famous with a thrilling teen detective series about the mysterious and magnificently wealthy Angel family . . . and the dark secrets they're keeping from one another.

On the night Malcolm and Maud Angel are murdered, Tandy Angel knows just three things: 1) She was the last person to see her parents alive. 2) The police have no suspects besides Tandy and her three siblings. 3) She can't trust anyone—maybe not even herself. Having grown up under Malcolm and Maud's intense perfectionist demands, no child comes away undamaged. Tandy decides that she will have to clear the family name, but digging deeper into her powerful parents' affairs is a dangerous-and revealing-game. Who knows what the Angels are truly capable of?
In the end, I really have mixed thoughts about this one. I really liked it, but I'm not so sure that it was realistic, considering the circumstances. But leaving it with an open ending like that makes me happy, because for what it's worth, I truly enjoyed it!

The mystery element was very well done, and I kind of didn't see the ending coming. I mean, I had pondered what would happen if this particular thing occurred, but I had dismissed it as too far fetched and left it that. So yes, I was surprised. But also kind of disappointed. I was hoping for more drama-- more intrigue! But alas, we got an ending...and that's something, right?

Which brings us to another thing I want to talk about-- I've said it a bazillion times, I'm more of a character person than a plot person. But I do appreciate good plot, I truly do! James Patterson delivers us good plot (that's thick with lies and deceit) in Confessions of a Murder Suspect, but I'm not so sure that his characters were all that great! I mean, it gave the story a certain sheen and all, but...Tandy and her family really weren't spectacular.

I'm actually not sure how I feel about them. Tandy behaved like a robot for a long time, only giving us little glimpses of actual feeling once in a while, and I'll admit it... her family freaked me out. I mean, when you're telling a story about a six year old taking a machete to a teddy bear...uhm, that freaks me out. I do, however, like the descriptions of their house. It sounds really over-the-top and awesome.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I loved the narration! It was cool how Tandy kept phrasing things as if she was speaking (er...writing) to someone. I mean, check out that quote! It was also really refreshing to read about a protagonist who actually trusts her instincts. However, she was still an odd duck, but maybe in a good way?

All in all, I enjoyed Confessions of a Murder Suspect, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in the series. There are still some strings to be tied up! :]
I have some really bad secrets to share with someone, and it might as well be you-- a stranger, a reader of books, but most of all, a person who can't hurt me. ~ Pg. 1

19 comments:

  1. Glad you still enjoyed even if not the most realistic.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this in January and I enjoyed it, although I was quite disappointed with the ending. It just seemed to "happy" for a book like that.

    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you liked it too! I was too. It was too happy, and (I can't believe I'm saying this) it was a little anticlimactic, am I right? Thank you! (:

      Delete
  3. This was one of the first mystery books I've read, which was about 2 or more months ago. I gave it the same rating :) It was pretty good and I've been reading more mystery ever since. The whole supernaturally element was a bit weird to me, but I kind of liked it lol Awesome review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool! I don't read very much in that genre either, because after I got over Nancy Drew none of them really grabbed me, LOL! But I'm glad that we both liked it. ;) It was a little weird-- I didn't really think that it was supernatural, though. Maybe just...I don't know. LOL. Thank you! (:

      Delete
  4. I don't read enough books in this genre, but after reading your wonderfully persuasive review, I think I'll give this a go! It's a shame that you didn't find this to be very realistic (I get so frustrated when a book is like that!) but I'm glad you still enjoyed Confessions of a Murder Suspect.

    Thanks so sharing your brilliant review! By the way, your blog design is beyond gorgeous! It's..it's....MEGA gorgeous! ;P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! Awesome! I hope that you love it-- because I really did. Haha, it was okay with this one, because mystery books in general aren't realistic.

      Thank you for reading it, sweetie! You have no idea how much I want to hug you right now! <3

      Delete
  5. I didn't know Patterson had another series! This sounds pretty good! Your review makes it sound a little creepy though, machete at a teddy bear? I actually prefer characters over plot as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does! I've never read Maximum Ride, but this one just looked so good that I couldn't pass it up. ;) YES. That little kid scared the bejeezus out of me-- for multiple reasons, that being one of them. Characters are the best, aren't they? ;D

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of James Patterson, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Megan! From my experience with his writing, his characters do seem to be lacking that special something. But nonetheless, he's known for a good plot, so I'm glad the storyline delivered! Wonderful review, Megan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first that I've read by him, so I have nothing else to go on. All of his characters are like Tandy, then? o.O I wonder if I'll like that or not...I mean, something was going on that made her the way she was-- and that's why I could accept it. But all the time? Thank you! (:

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you did like this one, even if it wasn't the best. It's intrigued to be honest. Haha and that cover is kinda awesome. I mean LOOK AT HER HAIR!! [am I a nerd for saying that?] haha. Either way. I'm glad to see a good review for this book! Not that it's been getting bad ones or anything...oh what the heck. Great review. End of story. :D

    <333 Inky
    [your friend who rambles and hasn't commented to you for a long time. #fail]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did. I know! And no, that does NOT make you a nerd, because I love her hair too. It's so pretty! Hahahahhaha....hahahhaha. I actually haven't read any reviews for this book, so shame on me! Thanks, girly! ;D

      <333
      [You're not rambling any more than I do. And you're not a fail!!]

      Delete
  8. Haha, I know what you mean. My one true love is characters, though! ;) This is actually my first by James Patterson, and I really enjoyed it! (: The machete was definitely creepy...*shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  9. To me, Tandy do feel robotic too but I kinda know where it's coming from. Her family is just so scary lol. I was quite disappointed since it IS a James Patterson book. I hope the sequel would be better.. Great review :)

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I'm not the only one with that opinion-- I was starting to get lonely, LOL! Her family is TOTALLY scary! It's the first I've read, so I'm actually not disappointed with it. o.O Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Glad you still had fun even though the characters were a bit weak. I think that's my problem with all Patterson's books. Great plots, great action, so so characters. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. (: Really? All of his books have so-so characters? That's...surprising. Thank you! (:

      Delete