September 25, 2012

Ever (The Ever Trilogy #1) by Jessa Russo


Ever
Seventeen-year-old Ever’s love life has been on hold for the past two years. She’s secretly in love with her best friend Frankie, and he’s completely oblivious.

Of course, it doesn't help that he’s dead, and waking up to his ghost every day has made moving on nearly impossible.

Frustrated and desperate for something real, Ever finds herself falling for her hot new neighbor Toby. His relaxed confidence is irresistible, and not just Ever knows it. But falling for Toby comes with a price that throws Ever’s life into a whirlwind of chaos and drama. More than hearts are on the line, and more than Ever will suffer.

Some girls lose their hearts to love. Some girls lose their minds. Ever Van Ruysdael could lose her soul.


My Thoughts/Review:

Why do authors insist on leaving us all with cliff-hanger endings? This must be why I enjoy standalone so much...

Ever's character was good enough I suppose, but my favorite was definitely Frankie. Our lead ghostie, and favorite paranormal being here. To be honest, I liked Ever, but sometimes I wondered if all paranormal books have to have a Bella from Twilight kind of character. It's not becoming. Having a character like Bella will almost always cement my dislike of a book. "Oh, I love them both, and they both love me! Who do I choose?" Eeergh. Ever was a bit different than Bella though, because she wasn't such a whiner. She didn't just sit around in self-pity all the time like Bella did. And, she had a better sense of style.

Frankie's character was terrific though! I absolutely loved Frankie, and probably would've liked the book quite a bit better if it's primary focus had been him. Instead, we had Ever as a primary focus.

Just like every other paranormal I've read recently, this book was highly predictable. I found myself anticipating every little thing before it happened, and it left me with a feeling of annoyance. Yes, I was annoyed at the predictability of this book. It was upsetting, but not near as much as this: I still enjoyed the book. Every little bit of plot was spoiled by my mind, but I still enjoyed hearing about Ever's relationship troubles with Toby and Frankie, and I really wished that she hadn't been so mean to Frankie.

All in all, I enjoyed Ever, but thought it was a tad too predictable, with a slightly whiny lead character. I'll probably read the series, for the simple fact that I've started it, but that'll be all.

*I received this book via Netgalley.

stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10
 Favorite Quote: 
A thousand Epic quotes were within this novel, but it won't be released until.......
October 1, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment