March 9, 2012

In Retrospect #1 The Duff by Kody Keplinger


In Restrospect is a meme hosted by The Book Babe, here at Books to Love(And Read!). When you reread a book, your thoughts about the book probably change, maybe not dramatically, but a little bit. An In Retrospect is when this happens. I reread my books a lot, so this should happen often.


When reading this book again, all I could really think about was how much I love Bianca and Wesley, and how Kody Keplinger bases a lot of her books off classic books and plays. The Duff is based after Wuthering Heights, with a bit of The Scarlet Letter, and Shut Out is based after Lysistrata, the greek play.(I hope I don't have to tell you what A Midsummer's Nightmare is based after). And it's okay that she writes like this because, honestly, she's a genius. She adds so many of her own ideas, and her own voice to her writing, that you would never know that she got some of her inspiration from old, dusty books. And believe me, this book is not one you'll be forgetting soon. Bianca's voice will come back to you some day.

                        I give this Book Four Stars.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I didn't expect to like this book, mainly because I'm the harshest reader in the world and I find so much YA published these days to be mediocre. But I really loved it. I read it pretty much in one sitting, staying up late to finish. The voice is great--smart and funny, and much more authentic than most of the like, totally fakey-voiced YA out there. The character development is terrific. I loved how both Bianca and Wesley changed, learned about each other and themselves, and came to a new place in their relationship. I appreciated how much B loved her friends and was loyal to them and her family, even through ups and downs. Even more, I appreciated how subtle the author was in developing all of these relationships. Yeah, maybe the dad's alcoholism is a little over the top, but it wasn't enough to throw me out of the book. I found the ending to be completely satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am harshish reader, but really not that bad, lol. I love Bianca! The book was great. Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete