July 1, 2013

The Island by Jen Minkman

The Island
The Island by Jen Minkman
Series: N/A
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: June 1, 2013
‘I walk toward the sea. The endless surface of the water extends to the horizon, whichever way I look.

Our world is small. We are on our own, and we only have ourselves to depend on. We rely on the Force deep within us, as taught to us by our forefathers.

If I were to walk westward from here, I would come across a barrier – the Wall. Behind it, there are Fools. At least, that’s what everyone says.

I have never seen one.’

Leia lives on the Island, a world in which children leave their parents to take care of themselves when they are ten years old. Across this Island runs a wall that no one has ever crossed. The Fools living behind it are not amenable to reason – they believe in illusions. That’s what The Book says, the only thing left to the Eastern Islanders by their ancestors.

But when a strange man washes ashore and Leia meets a Fool face to face, her life will never be the same. Is what she and her friends believe about the Island really true?
Or is everyone in their world, in fact, a Fool?
The waves are calling,
beckoning me.

I have never found myself so disappointed by a dystopian. I'm not even sure that this qualifies as a dystopian. It has all the key attributes (defunct society, ruthless leader, plague), but they didn't really work together. And STAR WARS? Really?

I'm not proud of that...and it's totally sad. I mean, I never understand how lies like that become common truth, but it was particularly unbelievable in this case: their entire society is based on a STAR WARS *gasp* fanfic.

Nope, I'm totally not joking. Got you there for a second, though, didn't I? Anywho, moving on before I get too carried away.

The beginning seemed info-dumpish to me, to tell you the truth. Too many names and events at one time-- I had trouble keeping up. Not only that, but I just...STAR WARS FANFIC. Their society is defunct because they believe that STAR WARS FANFIC is true. o.O

I found the main character, Leia, to be fairly dull and flat, unfortunately. She just didn't do it for me, and neither did the villain or her love interest. They just weren't believable characters. They were also way too pliable-- one hint of something could send them running for it.

All in all, I'm VERY disappointed with this one. It wasn't at all what I was expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment