July 15, 2013

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

The Disenchantments
The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour
Series: N/A
Source: Traded for
Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: February 16, 2012
Colby and Bev have a long-standing pact: graduate, hit the road with Bev's band, and then spend the year wandering around Europe. But moments after the tour kicks off, Bev makes a shocking announcement: she's abandoning their plans - and Colby - to start college in the fall.

But the show must go on and The Disenchantments weave through the Pacific Northwest, playing in small towns and dingy venues, while roadie- Colby struggles to deal with Bev's already-growing distance and the most important question of all: what's next?

Morris Award–finalist Nina LaCour draws together the beauty and influences of music and art to brilliantly capture a group of friends on the brink of the rest of their lives.
Bev says when she's onstage she feels the world holding its breath for her.

I've been wanting to read The Disenchantments for a while before I picked it up. I hadn't heard much hype (always a good thing), so I was super excited to read it and form my own opinions on it. So I opened it. And I ended up loving it to death.

I was immediately surprised, though, because for some reason I had it in my head that Colby was a girl...where did I get that idea? Is it the decidedly girly cover? I think that it is. But after the initial shock had worn off, I really grew to love Colby for who he was. He really is a sweet guy, and he does talk about art like it's in his soul. It was nice to switch it up by reading through a boy's eyes, though.

It was quite honestly a fun read. I loved getting to meet all of the awesome secondary characters that they met on their road trip, and I just loved all of their personalities. Each one of them has their own thing going on, and I totally respect it. My only real character issue had to be Bev. She was being really selfish towards Colby, and he was just taking it. His heart had to be hurting ridiculously.

The best word to describe The Disenchantments would have to be vibrant. Everything, every part of it, every scene was vibrant and crazy and real. I loved every moment of it, just like I loved the complex character relationships, and just like I loved the writing. The only reason that this isn't getting a five star rating is Bev.

All in all, you should really check out The Disenchantments. It makes a good read, and the characters are fabulous. If nothing else, you should enjoy the vibrancy of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment