July 16, 2013

My Side by Tara Brown

My Side
My Side by Tara Brown
Series: N/A
Source: Bought on Amazon
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: May 28, 2013
Erin Benson felt like she'd won the lottery when she arrived all the way from North Dakota with the keys to her first home in hand.
Crisp white walls: Check.
Breathtaking view of downtown Boston: Check.
Minutes from Northeastern School of Law: Check.

But home is not always where the heart is. Sometimes it’s where you find Mr. Random shacked up and sprawled out on what was supposed to be your new bed.
Between the bear spray and the handcuffs, she discovers a terrible mistake has been made.
Lochlan hasn't broken into her new home to sleep with a seedy barmaid...he owns half.

With emotions running on high, Erin is determined to tough it out until a solution can be found.
The tight quarters seem smaller with his accumulated clutter and bizarre sleeping schedule. It also doesn't help that he's the new lead singer for Thin Ice, an indie band on its rise to fame.
What happens when a quiet bookworm gets stuck with a relentless rocker?
What happens when the things you see are not the things you get?
Knots didn't twist in my stomach as the plane landed.

Honestly, My Side was a lot more mature than I was expecting. I was pretty surprised about that, I can't say that I actually had any warning. o.O

Lochlan was unbelievably full of himself. I saw a review before I started with a pic of one swoony guy that was being declared Loch. I don't see it. I actually found quite a few of his actions to be way over controlling, and in some cases, kind of violent. He wasn't a swoon for me, and I feel like I didn't actually get to know him at all throughout the course of My Side. I'm a little upset about that, honestly. I like knowing who our main character is falling in love with, and in the end Loch wasn't all that great.

Speaking of which, Erin wasn't so great either. I liked that she was insecure at first, but as the book went on I found myself hating that about her. Everytime something happens with Loch, we see her running off like a maniac to hide at various people's houses. At which point (of course), Loch comes stomping up to the house and screams like a madman until she goes back with him. I don't know about you, but that's a bit too controlling for my likings. But back to Erin, instead of their incredibly volatile relationship.

Erin was a complete contradiction; She likes to say that she's not selfish but she is (all the while claiming that Loch is the selfish one). She also likes to talk dirty. I'm all for that in real life, because it's ridiculously funny to burst into laughter over something dirty, but in most books I'm not a huge fan of it. I kind of like to keep it PG-13, y'all! And I find that most NA is PG-13, but this one would be better classified as adult romance. o.O (You get where I'm going with this, right?)

As for the grammar, I don't have good grammar. I really don't, to tell you the truth. It's not something I'm into. But when I'm reading a book and every few sentences (maybe an exaggeration, more like every few paragraphs) there's a spelling error or a grammar mistake, it kind of throws me out of the story. I'm not a huge fan of that, to tell you the truth.

All in all, My Side really wasn't for me. The romance wasn't my thing, and the characters just didn't do it for me. It was enjoyable at parts, though, so it's earned 2.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment