June 3, 2013

In Honor by Jessi Kirby

In Honor
In Honor by Jessi Kirby
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Honor receives her brother’s last letter from Iraq three days after learning that he died, and opens it the day his fellow Marines lay the flag over his casket. Its contents are a complete shock: concert tickets to see Kyra Kelly, her favorite pop star and Finn’s celebrity crush. In his letter, he jokingly charged Honor with the task of telling Kyra Kelly that he was in love with her.

Grief-stricken and determined to grant Finn’s last request, she rushes to leave immediately. But she only gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen him in ages, thanks to a falling out between the two guys, but Rusty is much the same as Honor remembers him: arrogant, stubborn . . . and ruggedly good-looking. Neither one is what the other would ever look for in a road trip partner, but the two of them set off together, on a voyage that makes sense only because it doesn’t. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn--but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?

The snap of the first shot breaks open the afternoon.

In Honor is one of those books that I've been waiting to read forever. So when I finally got the chance, I snapped it up like it was a cupcake. Seriously, I wanted it that badly. (I have a weakness for cupcakes, but who doesn't?) I ended up really enjoying it.

Honor was a character that I could relate to-- she was spunky and prone to making snap decisions, as well as being a little impetuous. But that's not the best part; she needed to grow. And she grew throughout the book, becoming more mature and understanding-- and I loved it. She started taking more into account before she made decisions, and I just wanted to cheer for her!

But my favorite part was definitely the road trip element-- I LURVE road trips, and this one was definitely a mish mash of mistakes and problems that just seemed to fit together perfectly. They met new people and had lots of adventures...even if the new people tended to be two-dimensional.

I did really enjoy Rusty's character, though. He sounds like such a hottie, and his emotions and such are all right up on the surface. I loved him when he teased, and I loved how Honor and him interacted. They are so sweet together! I said before that Honor grew throughout, but I think that in his own way, Rusty did too.

And I can't imagine the ending being anything else, to be honest. It was perfect. All in all, I think that In Honor is a read that will make you feeling like going on a road trip. It sounds fun, don't you think?
He always told me to look strong, even if I didn't feel it, because sometimes that's all you can do. ~Pg. 2

No comments:

Post a Comment