September 28, 2012

Struck (Struck #1) by Jennifer Bosworth


Struck (Struck, #1)


Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.


My Thoughts/Review:

Wow. Struck's characters and storyline were extremely magnetic, and definitely powerful. It kind of reminded me of X-men. :D

I found Struck to be a fast-paced book, full of genius plot-twists, and several unforgettable characters. At first, I was a little hesitant about Mia, because I was afraid (based on Goodreads reviews) that her character wouldn't live up to potential. A lightning addict, one that has the power to save the world, or even to break it. But I was pleasantly surprised, because not only did Mia live up to her potential, she did it in a way that was befitting of a YA character. She felt fear, anxiety, and even a tad bit of horror at times, and that's one of the many things that make her a good character. She wasn't fearless. Because fearless characters are the worst. No one can identify with a fearless character, so why would an author even bother to write one?

Jeremy is my second favorite character, because you just can't, well...you can't dislike the crush, can you? (You can. But that's a story for another time.) I found Jeremy's actions to be a tad bit predictable, because of a few...well, let's just say, "awkward betrayal moments", ones that I had figured out before they happened. Other than that, I was very proud of Jeremy's character.

I do have a few questions, though.

1. If food shipments aren't getting into the city, and Mia is going to school to receive her rations, why isn't the subject of starvation handled more?

2. If shipments aren't making into the city, where are Mia and Jeremy (and everyone else) getting the gas to run their vehicles? You may not know this, but gas comes on a truck.

3.  Mia is a lighting addict. How come we never get to experience how she feels when she gets struck? That would have been really cool!

Moving on from my questioning mind. I really enjoyed this book's way of dealing with the end of the world. Enough, that on the day of the storm, I was actually wondering how this was all going to turn out. Was the world really going to end by natural disaster? Is this book going to end up being an 'apocalypsie'? It was an interesting train of thought, I can assure you. All in all, I definitely enjoyed Struck, and I'm looking forward to reading more by this author in the future. :)

  stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10
Favorite Quote:
And I finally understood.
The storm I've been waiting for...it was not beyond the horizon.
The Storm was in me.

16 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! I love original stories with twists and turns. Thanks for your thoughts! Adding it to my to-read list now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty interesting. :D

      I do too! When a book is unoriginal, it just kills me, and...I just wish for more, ya know? Your welcome, and I hope you like it just as much as I did! :D

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, I died at "...you can't dislike the crush, can you? (You can. But that's a story for another time.)..." xD

    And hooray for X-Men likeness! That increased my want to read this book by about 100%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you have no idea how much fun I have writing reviews. :D

      I love X-men! I can't wait to see X-men First class! Or the other one that's coming out...X-men Origins...sompething. :) (No, it's not because Wolverine is hot...well, maybe, lol.) XD

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, X-Men First Class was awesome. And the X-Men Origins about Wolverine. I'm not sure what movies are coming out next, but it's safe to say I'll be watching them.

      Hey, it is totally okay for a girl to admit to the hotness of Wolverine. It's just a fact of life. xD

      Delete
    3. I haven't seen it yet. :(

      I saw the Origins about Wolverine! That's definitely my favorite out of all of them. I loved it. The origins I was talking about is the one about the guy that get's his head cut off by Wolverine...Ryan something? With the x-ray eyes?

      Haha, totally true. He's the only man that can make hairy look good. XD

      Delete
    4. GO SEE IT! Your mind will just be like, blown. ;)

      Hmm. I don't remember that. And I usually tend to remember people getting their heads chopped off. And scenes with Wolverine doing generally awesome things.

      Yes! Pretty much every other guy on the planet should just quit the whole facial hair thing. Wolverine is one of the few that makes the list of exceptions. And trust me, it's a very small list. xD

      Delete
    5. I will! Eventually.

      I'm pretty sure his head was chopped off. It was like the most epic last scene in the history of the world. He has some kind of laser eyes, and as his head is going down the thing, it like destroys what they're on...that sounded really weird, lol.

      I know! Except for maybe Zac Efron, lol. He's cute, he can get away with it. But as you said, it's a very short list! But I'm sure that Wolverine and Zac Efron are on it. XD

      Delete
    6. No, no, that sounds really epic. It's clearly in the running for most epic last scene in the history of the world.

      Okay, Zac Efron is definitely on that list. (Zac Efron can be on whatever list he wants!) But only because you can't make Zac Efron look bad. Undeniable TRUTH. xD

      Delete
    7. Haha. Now you want to go watch the movie again! Don't lie! :)

      Yes. Yes he is. I know! It's like, impossible. I was not a fan of high school musical, but Zac Efron is HOT. XD

      Delete
    8. But... well... okay, you caught me—I can't lie. I do want to see that again. And a whole movie just about Deadpool? THAT IS GOING TO BE AWESOME.

      Okay, dirty secret: I adored high school musical. But in my defense, I was six years younger when I saw it and, hello, ZAC EFRON! So I believe it's kinda justified. xD

      Delete
    9. I have it, lol. I watch it a lot, lol. I know! I so can't wait to see it! I wanna see it almost as bad as I want to see TMI and Divergent!!

      I just saw it like, last year, so I'm not really the targeted age group. In your defense, I probably would've loved it six years ago too. :D

      Delete
    10. Oh my gosh, book-to-movies are the hardest things to wait for, because announce them like, years in advance and all you can do is wait, haha.

      Whew, I've been excused. ;)

      Delete
    11. I know! Divergent doesn't come until, like, 2014! Ooh, that's a long time....

      Delete
    12. But we will wait like the amazing book fans we are! Just with some complaining. ;)

      Delete
    13. A teeny bit...sprinkled here and there...

      Delete