September 25, 2012

Doing It by Melvin Burgess


Doing It

The award-winning author Melvin Burgess’s ribald and insightful account of contemporary teenage life chronicles the ups and downs of doing it.

The controversial book on which the cult favorite ABC television series Life As We Know It (now available on DVD) was based, Doing It introduces us to Dino, Jon, and Ben, three teenage best friends who can’t stop thinking about, and talking about (and hoping to experience) sex.

Buy from The Book Depository<--and support future giveaways on this blog!

My Thoughts/Review:

Well. That was surprising. I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I started this book, but it sure wasn't this. I even toyed with not reviewing this one, simply because of the content. There should be a warning label on this book: Warning. Boys think very dirty thoughts.

I mean seriously, who thinks of this stuff? Errgh, I'm horrified! Yes, horrified! Previously, that was very hard to do, but now it seems kind of easy. I'm sure the look on my face while reading this book was absolutely priceless!

To be honest with you, I'm at a loss about what to say. That it was absolutely full of sex? That I want smack the author stupid for telling me all the inside thoughts of a guy? Man, I wish I was clueless again. Boys are disgusting. Yes, disgusting. But for some weird reason, I found myself actually enjoying this book. At least all the characters were as honest as they come. I often found myself wondering where the author got his inspiration from. Was he like this when he was a teen? Oh, that's a little too much for now. Moving on.

One of the most enjoyable things about this book was the humor. The way the subject of sex was handled, while still being very entertaining was absolutely freaking priceless. That doesn't make the book though. What made the book was this: Character development. You guys know what a sucker I am for a good character. And Mr. Burgess introduces three of them. Dino, Ben, and Jonathan.

To be honest, because of risk of spoilers, I can't really tell you what I liked about Ben. Just know this: his character was one that I will never, ever forget.

Jonathan's character is quite a bit more forgettable, but only because he makes himself that way. Jon fades a bit into the background, and because the chapters switch point of view so often, he doesn't get as much development as Ben and Dino, or even some of the lesser used characters, like Jackie and Zoe.

Dino's character though, watch out. Because he could fill a room with all that baggage he's carrying around.

All in all, I enjoyed Doing It, even with all of it's vastly inappropriate moments.

 stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10
Favorite Quote:
See? None of that stuff matters when it comes down to who your friends are. They're my mates--they showed that. And the rest of 'em are just so much crud.

12 comments:

  1. Ohoho! Boys really are disgusting- but that won't stop me from adding this book to my tbr :D

    - Ellie @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Awesome, another reader shall come to the dark side. :D

      Delete
  2. Megan,
    How old are you? And you're just figuring this out about men?

    Timothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That information is confidential. :)

      Haha, your comment made me smile. I knew that about men, lol. But I just try not to think about it. :D

      Delete
    2. Megan,
      In our defense, a woman wrote "fifty shades of grey"! And the only people I know that have read it are also women.

      And yes, I know that most guys didn't buy Playboy for the articles either.

      If I may hawk my own book: The Saga of the Ellen Jane provides a more, dare I say, civilized look at romance from the male perspective. (The main male character is actually looking for a long term relationship.)

      Delete
    3. Yes, she did. And I think that women are mainly the ones that read it, but I'm not one of them. (I tend to avoid Twilight fanfiction.)

      I don't doubt that guys look for long term relationships too, but I guess it was just easier for this author to write about shorter relationships. Of course you may hawk your own book! I'm not trying to insult guys or anything, that was just my honest opinion of Melvin Burgess's book, and I'm sorry if I somehow offended you.

      Delete
    4. No offense taken. And it is true that many men are all too happy with short term relationships.

      Delete
    5. Ok, terrific. Here I was thinking I'd gone off and offended you. Have a terrific week, and thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. Yep. I can say with 100% absolute certainty. This is not a book that I will read. I have a tough enough time reading books with small sex scenes. I don't think I can read a book that is basically sex on paper. I am thankful for the review, so I know to steer clear of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had to read it--it sounded so controversial! I can understand that, though. In a world where you can see it on TV, you'd like to read in peace, right? ;)

      Thanks! :D

      Delete
  4. lol oh boy!!! Do I want to read this? I may be looking at my husband differently and even my two son's! :) Great review, I'm intrigued with this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not--how old are your sons, because that'll probably give you the answer. If they're young, go for it! But if they're teenagers...I wouldn't read it. It would be mentally scarring for you as a mother. :)

      Thanks! ;D

      Delete