May 7, 2015

Who Wore it Better: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Who Wore it Better is an original meme I brought with me from Drugs Called Books. In it, instead of discussing fashion or cloths, we discuss book covers from different countries, and who has the best cover. The meme is co-hosted with the lovely Amanda and Stacie from Beautiful Bookish Butterflies and will be featured on her blog every other week, so check her out as well!  

This week, Amanda chose the Starcrossed Trilogy by Josephine Angelini. I haven't read this series, but I know Amanda loves it so this one is going to be interesting. Who knows, it might just be the thing to make me read it! 
#1: US / UK - This time, there are two number ones. Why? Because I think the US cover is the prettiest one of the lot, in terms of color and scenery and all that Jazz. 
But I have a special appreciation toward the UK one because it's the only cover where there's a couple on the cover. Starcrossed is a reference to Starcrossed Lovers. And if I'm not mistaken, this book is exactly about that sort of a relationship. So it only makes sense a couple will be featured... and yet none of the publishers aside the UK went that way. Why? Having a female MC is not a good enough excuse in my opinion. 

#2: Swedish - This is the second prettiest cover. The whipping of her hair adds movement to the cover that the other covers are lacking, and I love the little details like the sparkles (stars), and the heart necklace indicating this is a love story. Plus there is what appears to be the Zodiac in the background, which peaks my interest - why zodiacs? what does that have to do with the story? 

#3: Portuguese - This one follows in the footsteps of it's america sister. It's less visually interesting, what with the dress and the background and the stones being basically the same color, and nothing clashes. It makes it look like a very serene story, which is the opposite of what "starcrossed" stories are, so... But it is pretty, not gonna lie.

#4: Swedish #2 - I don't really have much to say about this. Is it atrocious? No. Would I buy a book with this cover? No. It's boring. It's dull. It's not ugly or anything, but to me it misses the mark entirely of what an attractive cover is. (BTW - it makes me think of a greek legend, the way she is standing and the dress style).

#5: Greek - UGLY and too much exposure/air brush. 

Nitzan


No comments:

Post a Comment