March 13, 2015

Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder (Spoilers)


Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder
Series: Glass #3/Chronicles of Ixia #6
Source: borrowed from library (on wishlist)
Publisher: Mira Ink
Publication Date: Sep 6th, 2013
Age Genre: Young Adult
Challenges: TBR
Challenges: Prequel-Sequel
Challenges: Flight of Fantasy
After siphoning her own blood magic in the showdown at Hubal, student glass magician Opal Cowan lost her powers. Immune to the effects of magic, Opal is now an outsider looking in, spying through the glass on those with the powers she once had. Powers that make a difference in the world.
Suddenly the beautiful pieces she makes begin to flash in the presence of magic and Opal learns that someone has stolen some of her blood. Finding it might let her regain her powers or discover that they're lost forever...
BE WARNED: UNHIDDEN SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THIS BOOK
Honestly, I am not 100% certain how I feel about this book. I enjoyed it, no doubt about that--I mean, how can you not enjoy a Maria V. Snyder book? But at the same time, I liked it less than the first two. I liked the characters less. The romance a bit less. The villain was creeptastic though - full points for that!

There were two things that made me enjoy this book less. First, Opal. In the last book, Opal gained an edge that made me love her so much. She was still the same kind, sweet, self-sacrificing person, but she was also a little jaded and bitter. I felt like for most of this book, she reverted back to who she was before. She did kickass things, no one could counter that, but the way her voice worked thorough all those sounded to me more like Old Opal than New Opal, if that makes any sense. I didn't like that.

Second, the romance. If you read my review of the second book in the series, you saw I completely fell for Devlen. Like, it came to the point I was Team Kade for Opal, and Team Devlen for myself. I felt like there was no way Opal would give up the great relationship she had with Kade for Devlen. Especially considering, as much as I adore the guy, he did some unforgivable stuff... didn't he?

Turns out, I was completely wrong. And you can feel that vibe pretty early on, with Ari accusing (well, saying, not accusing, but whateves) Opal of loving Devlen. Now at this point, I was like... what? Cause yeah. They were getting closer. But love? I wasn't feeling that. Not yet anyways.

Which, I guess, is where my issue with this romance comes from. Again, I adore Devlen. I'm actually extremely happy he got the girl. But I didn't feel like the book convinced me Opal truly loved him. Especially not with her track record.

She had Kade. Wonderful, sweet, loving Kade. And she stopped thinking about him completely when Devlen came into the picture, offering her a "sweeter deal", so to speak. Same with Ulrick, in a way. She had a guy she said she loved, but when he changed (i.e: Devlen) she was all for that. And when the deceit was proven, she was running to Kade. And when Kade and her had a few issues, she ran to Devlen. I guess, as a character, I no longer trust her love.
Aside for that, I really enjoyed this book. I loved seeing so much of Valek, specifically the way he was here; among friends, a bit more open. I loved getting more of Nic and Eve, and Teegan and Reema were a really nice addition. I know it soon, but I kind of ship Reema and Fisk. Especially cause she dislikes him so much, lol.

And the villain? My god, how I loved to hate him! I mean, the things he did... and than there's the cult leader *shudder* I.  Hate. Cults. They're so creepy! And Opal's brush with them is one of the creepest things I ever read of!

So, yes. There are reasons to rant in this book. But I had fun reading it and finishing this journey alongside these characters.
Nitzan

No comments:

Post a Comment